Of chains and of tires

/ Of chains and of tires #1  

WinterDeere

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R; JD 855 MFWD
The machine: Deere 855 MFWD (1900 lb.) with #52 front end loader (500 lb.) and one pair (120 lb.) rear wheel weights
The implement: Deere RB2172H or Landpride RB1672H rear blade
The tires: Turf (23 x 8.50 front and 33 x 12.50 rear)
The driveway: Freshly top-coated asphalt, 450 linear feet + 2 parking areas = 6000 sq.ft.

Questions:

1. To chain or not to chain? Assuming 2-link ladders on all four corners, if I do.

2. To add weight? Of course, preferrable... but if so, how? Not willing to fill tires (this is primarily a lawn machine), and while I can add another set or two of rear wheel weights, they don't amount to much.

Last edited:
   / Of chains and of tires #2  
Chains are nice. Moving snow with chains is a whole different world than moving snow with out chains. I have a three point ballast box that weighs 600#. I put the ballast box on before snow season. I only have chains on the rears. These are studded chains and only for gravel drives. There are some asphalt friendly chains here:

Secure Online Shopping for all of your Tire Chain needs

/ Of chains and of tires
I do have a ballast box for use with my FEL, but my plan for snow removal is to put a rear blade on the machine, so I'll be losing my ballast.

I've done lots of plowing with 12 hp garden tractors and turf tires, both with and without chains and wheel weights, but this will be my first year on a 4wd machine of this size and weight. Also, all my previous machines had either front blades or front mount snow blowers, and here I'm considering a rear blade to compliment my front end loader.

/ Of chains and of tires #5  
My JD 855 has filled tires. No bolt on weights. And 33" turfs.
I found a set of 2 link ladder chains at a Deere dealer cheaper than any other source I could find at the time.
I have had no problem using them on any surface I've been on so far.
Of course it doesn't work as well on harder surfaces than frozen gravel.

I choose to not use weights or chains on my front axle.
At this point in time I don't want to have a front axle failure of any kind on this tractor.
I feel if I need more than this set up can do, I need bigger equipment.

Good luck

/ Of chains and of tires #6  
Chains on the rear tires only. In fact, with chains, you may not even need to use the MFWD.
I use 4 link ladder chains, but that does make for a bumpy ride. The hassle with 2 links ladder chains the weight (heavy!!!). However, your 855 rear tires are a good bit smaller then my tires...might not be so bad.
By the way, if you do want chains, order now! If you wait, you may not be able to get them until Spring. That happened to me when I ordered mine...and just when I needed them most.

/ Of chains and of tires
Thanks, guys. I was once told that, if you're running chains on MFWD, you should put them on the front first. I think the theory was keeping the fronts moving faster than the rears, thus keeping the machine going straight.

/ Of chains and of tires #8  
Thanks, guys. I was once told that, if you're running chains on MFWD, you should put them on the front first. I think the theory was keeping the fronts moving faster than the rears, thus keeping the machine going straight.

Just put your FEL in float, and you will have very little trouble steering while using the bucket.

Glad to see you still have power in Phila.

/ Of chains and of tires #9  
i owned a case with chains on all 4 tires i didnt use it much on hard surfaces mostly in dirt it work well i had no axle problems i wouldnt put them on a newer tractors tractors arent made the same as the one in the 80s i know i wouldnt put them on the front of my kubota

/ Of chains and of tires
Just got power back... actually! Lost a few big trees in the storm. Will be a busy weekend cleaning up.

My tractor was made in the 80's, but I'd be surprised that's the sole determination on how it will handle front vs. rear chains.

My bucket control does not stay in float. You basically have to hold it hard forward to keep the bucket floating. I assumed that's how the 855 hydraulic valve was designed to work, but maybe not? The loader I used before this machine could be set to float, and would stay in float until you pulled the lever back.