3-point PTO snowblower

/ 3-point PTO snowblower #1  

WinterDeere

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R; JD 855 MFWD
Looking to get a rear snowblower. Intend to buy with manual chute rotation and deflector, but aiming for a model for which I can buy bolt-on hydraulic or electric actuators down the road. What are the favored brands? What brands to avoid? Any particular features to seek out (impeller diameter, chain size, weight, etc.)?

My tractor (Deere 855) is 24 hp (19 PTO hp) with a 54" rear wheel width, so I'm looking around 60". Many of the blowers over 54" wide recommend more than 20 PTO HP to run them, which has me anticipating disappointment.

So far, I've checked out Land Pride, Deere Frontier, Woodmaxx, Woods, Pronovost (Puma), Lorenz, and Buhler (Farm King / Meteor). I've seen prices from under $2k to over $4k, weights from 400 - 650 lb., impeller diameters from 20" to 24", chute diameters from 7" to 10", and every other variation of impeller depth, auger diameter, etc.. It's enough to make one's head spin.

snowblowers.GIF
(click for chart)

/ 3-point PTO snowblower #2  
WinterDeere,

I owned a JD 750 with about the same PTO HP as yours with a 60" snowblower and never had any problems or disappointed with it over a 15 year span. It was an Inland SA-60" with a 20" impeller (20" is a best estimate guess) and was purchased used. Even during the years when the Nor'easters dropped 24" back to back it worked without issue. It had manual rotation and deflector. I never adjusted the deflector and it didn't take too much effort to reach back and rotate the chute. The distance it tossed snow was impressive.

Don't over think this... You can always adjust travel speed to compensate for lack of HP.

DSC_0420.jpg

Last edited:
   / 3-point PTO snowblower #3  
I chose a Buhler for that very reason. The rotation cylinder drops on the optional mounts.
They are shown in this thread were I detailed the deflector mount that I made. There's also links in there to other user's similar projects.
I run a 50" with 13 PTO HP. The key to making this arrangement work is the the hydrostatic tranny. You can adjust your speed to a rate that the blower can handle.
Careful on the weight. My Buhler is close to my max TPH lift. Once a year it gets loaded up with wet snow to a point that seems to weight about one pound more than my max lift. :)

Last edited:
   / 3-point PTO snowblower #4  
On my 25 hp Kubota I am running a 60" dual stage snowblower that I picked up used for 200 dollars and it handles it fine. My tractor is just gear shift with 2 reverse speeds and no live pto but it handles the snow fine. I have never had the tractor bog down once from putting too much snow through it. I would not hesitate one bit going with a 60" if I were you. If the snow is real heavy make your first pass in low gear and then just make 3/4 or 1/2 width passes thereafter.

I would think an actuator could easily be added to just about any chute on a snowblower with a little ingenuity especially an electric one.

/ 3-point PTO snowblower #5  
I don't know if your tractor is hydrostatic or gear. Hydro allows an infinite speed selection to make it quite effective to match ground speed to pto load. I doubt you would be under powered with hydro or gear.

As to changing manual chute to powered, the chute rotation is more important than the cover plate on top of the chute. Rotation is fairly easy to add and can be done in a number of ways. There are a number of threads about it. I used a power window motor for mine.

/ 3-point PTO snowblower
Thanks, guys. My tractor is Hydro.

I'll be stopping by the Deere dealership Saturday to check out the Woods and Deere Frontier blowers. Neither has the most impressive spec's or best price, but they're both sold locally, and can be fondled prior to purchase. That's worth something.

/ 3-point PTO snowblower #7  
Try the woods they seem to make good products.

/ 3-point PTO snowblower #8  
I noticed you left lorenz off your chart? I run a lorenz 630 cutting width is 72" and weight is around 500#. I picked up this unit used, it was manufactured in 1996. This blower is run by my NH TC25D with 20 pto hp and I have not had any issues. I know they discontinued the 630 but it has been replaced by another model. I would recommed looking into them as they are a well built unit.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121110_073232.png
    ForumRunner_20121110_073232.png
    610.8 KB · Views: 784
  • ForumRunner_20121110_073308.png
    ForumRunner_20121110_073308.png
    449.8 KB · Views: 595
   / 3-point PTO snowblower #9  
I don't know if you would be interested or not but I have a brand new 50" Buhler/Allied Farm King sitting in the Garage and want to go to a larger unit for the new tractor. Unit has been used twice in light snow, kept in the garage and looks like new. If so respond and I'll give you a call I'm in Delaware not far from you. Mark (Scaper)

/ 3-point PTO snowblower
Try the woods they seem to make good products.

Got it. Bought a new Woods SB64S yesterday. Had to special order to get in Deere green, so might be a week or three before it hits my driveway.

I noticed you left lorenz off your chart?

I actually spent some time checking out the Lorenz machines. What monsters! Seems they're for much heavier duty use than I'll ever require.

I don't know if you would be interested or not but I have a brand new 50" Buhler/Allied Farm King sitting in the Garage...

Appreciate the offer, but I needed something bigger than my 54" wheel track. Thanks anyway!