Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV

Default Re: To chain or not to chain that is the question.

Photo of Joeyd's setup shows one good way to go. V-bar, floor protection, blower. I believe that if you spend enough time out in the winter without tire chains, sooner or later you will end up in a situation where you'd GLADLY hand over a couple hundred bucks to gracefully recover yourself (and your expensive tractor). Better off to spend the money up front, avoid as many problems as possible, and operate more safely. I've used chains on several types of vehicles and have never had one come off, but I could see how it might happen if for example you have to put them on in the dark, laying in the snow somewhere, hands freezing, etc. Just hard to get them tight in situations like that.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

I keep my chains snug with chain tensioners. All the connections on the chains are safety wired. If they come loose they will for sure trash a fender. Chains take a little time to set up right.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Silver Member
    I live in the state of Delaware in New Castle County ,USA
    Tractor
    New Holland 1030

My tractor is a hydro with 4wd sensitrack auto engagement when tires spin. I was wondering what the difference is in performance between the two space and four space chain. Does one ride harder then the other or perform better? Mark

Tractor
    Yanmar 276D

I use bungee cords for tensioners. 2 on the inside, offset around the axle. 3 on the outside. Never a problem. Chains are a must here.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckgnarly View Post
    We can get some serious ice here early on in the Winter, the kind you cannot even stand up on. I have chains for all my plow trucks, and have no interest in EVER sliding down a hill while sitting in an open cab tractor. I have a pair of chains on the way for this first Winter with the tractor, I learned my lesson when I did not have any for my first year with the plow truck!

If I did not have hills to deal with, I might not have the chains though.
    What you call "Hills" I call small mountains.
    TN75D, w/cab, FEL, BH
    7 1/2 ft Lucknow Blower

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mihindra 3616

I put rear chains on my 15hp yanmar 4wd with ag tires to plow snow. I use a front mounted plow on our driveway that has a hill. I have slid backward down the hill with my 4x4 pickup, not fun. The little tractor has pulled the pickup, work van, Toyota Land cruiser and the wife's pickup up the hill and/or out of the ditch in low range with chains on the rear tires. I have used bungee cords or 1/8 nylon pull string going across the tire, what ever is handy when I put the chains on. I have found chains just work for me and I will put them on if I need to plow. The tractor goes strait with chains and slowly turns slowly due to the angle of the blade without them.
    Cam. now shopping for chains to fit the new tractor

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper View Post
    I'm debating about a set of chains for my Boomer 1030. I have some concern about clearance between the body and tires. Thank's Mark
    Looking at a YouTube video of a 1030 with turf tires, it appears you may not have much clearance between the tire and fender, especially at the fender lip.
    Some tractor fenders can be mounted differently (they have more then one set of mounting holes).
    I'd ask your dealer, if I were you.
    That said, I use 4 link ladder type chains from Tire Chains by TireChains.com on my 4400 with turfs. I'm a real believer in chains.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

I have some concern about clearance between the body and tires.

Yeah Roy is on to something there...you have to determine weather or not you have enough clearance.

About 8 years ago I was looking to upgrade the kubota and we settled on a model of some kind. So I go out on the lot and to check out the machine and eventually noticed there wasn't enough clearance for chains.

Well chains were so important to me this became a showstopper. At one time there were 3 guys sticking their hands under the fenders staring at each other with puzzled looks.
    Kubota B1750 with chains on all 4 turf tires. CC1440 & GT2550

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Heh heh That sounds like me. 90-degree day in June and I'm looking at a 2720 and questioning the dealer on rear tire chain clearances. I would not have bought that one either had the rims not allowed for a wide position.

Silver Member
    I live in the state of Delaware in New Castle County ,USA
    Tractor
    New Holland 1030

Roy this was the exact reason I made the post, I am concerned about clearance there's not alot there and the body is around $3.800 to replace, not doing that!!! I may have to for-go the chains. I'll look on you tube when I get home from work. By the way thanks to all the vetrans for their service to our country. Mark

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast