To chain or not to chain that is the question.

/ To chain or not to chain that is the question. #1  

Scaper

Silver Member
I live in the state of Delaware in New Castle Coun
Tractor
New Holland 1030
I'm debating about a set of chains for my Boomer 1030. I have some concern about clearance between the body and tires. A fellow plower stated he had a disaster when a chain came apart and tore his sheet metal up. Tension straps broke. We don't get a huge storm regularly and I do have a blower for the rear loader front set up so would chains really be needed? I have turf tires on the tractor and they seem to be better when I do plow snow. I found a set online for $132.00 plus $10.95 for keepers per side. I know alot of folks are in the snow belt so please give me your opinion. Thank's Mark

/ To chain or not to chain that is the question. #2  
You didn't say if you have four wheel drive, so my answer might not be relevant. I have 4x4 and turf tires. I have a pretty steep hill to climb (both in and out) and I don't have chains. Had the tractor for 8 years and never needed them. HTH
Jim

/ To chain or not to chain that is the question. #3  
We can get some serious ice here early on in the Winter, the kind you cannot even stand up on. I have chains for all my plow trucks, and have no interest in EVER sliding down a hill while sitting in an open cab tractor. I have a pair of chains on the way for this first Winter with the tractor, I learned my lesson when I did not have any for my first year with the plow truck!

If I did not have hills to deal with, I might not have the chains though.

/ To chain or not to chain that is the question. #4  
For what it's worth;my dealer claims turfs are better than R4 (industrial) in the snow.I have R1(Ag) with no problems.

/ To chain or not to chain that is the question. #5  
For what it's worth;my dealer claims turfs are better than R4 (industrial) in the snow.I have R1(Ag) with no problems.
---------------
I use 2 link ladder chains on 33" turfs.
I have never had any problems with them on frozen gravel, or hard surface road.

The ride isn't rough either. Even in the woods. I know industrial tires with ring chains on the tractor I used, are a rough ride.

Good luck

/ To chain or not to chain that is the question. #6  
I got chains on my turfs. I have a loader and blower on the back and had to have them. They would just spin and then i would have no traction at all. Just my opinion but chains are worth every penny. I have mine chained all the way around so i can steer too. i found that fronts helped the most but the rears made it into a whole new tractor.

/ To chain or not to chain that is the question. #7  
yap i got chain on my tractor last year and they will go back on its not the same tractor with chain but dont make him spin for nothing on pave driveway but you got traction with them on

/ To chain or not to chain that is the question. #8  

Guessing your snow is different form ours. FIL had turfs on his all kind of weight on the back and could get hung up plowing snow on level driveway. It had chains on it year round couldn't even mow the yard without getting hung up. Present day has reg tractor tires on his no chains to mow but chains to plow snow.
First yr I had my JD2210 with R4 thought OH BOY won't need chains ,till I came home one evening after snow had melted some on our concrete drive. Started to pull down toward our garage doors to back blade,, almost replaced garage door with blade down after it started to slide. Long story short CHAINS on the jd1026r R4 tires .

/ To chain or not to chain that is the question. #9  
. A fellow plower stated he had a disaster when a chain came apart and tore his sheet metal up. Tension straps broke. .

He must have been moving right along for chains to start destroying structure. Me, if I'm moving snow it's at a walking pace. If we have an ice storm then all bets are off for which tire tread will do best.
None of them. Chains are required. I'll wait till I have to to put them on because they really change the ride to bumpy.

/ To chain or not to chain that is the question. #10  
Once there is snow on the ground I don't notice the bumps from the chains. I would rather get them on early than hope I don't find ice on the hill while I'm throwing snow. PC050154.JPG