question for experienced snow removers

/ question for experienced snow removers #21  
Like the poster at the top of this page says, plow with the storm once its deep enough to plow, don't wait until its all over. With my GMC half ton I'd plow the driveway once it got 6-8 inches deep and again when the storm is over.

/ question for experienced snow removers #22  
I only plowed once with an atv for a distant neighbour while they were away. It works pretty well. If you already have the atv than the cost of the blade is pretty low. i used a truck mounted ( cheap snowbear) that worked really well but not good for tight quarters. Both are not even compared to a tractor though. A rear blade on the tractor is super fast, a blower is slower but does a better job.

/ question for experienced snow removers #23  
Plow with the storm and push it as far back as possible. If you get more than you can handle, raise the blade to get a path cut through the snow. And you can start on the outside edge and bust trail, then just plow across the plowed path to get the job done. Biggest thing is dont let it pile up too much with a small piece of equipment and you will be just fine.

/ question for experienced snow removers
When you guys move snow with a blade on the rear of a tractor, do you scrape moving forward or backing-up. Just wondering what most of you do.

/ question for experienced snow removers #25  
This past spring we bought a house on a hill with about 300 feet of paved driveway. I am thinking about buying a 4wd four wheeler with a scraper blade to clear snow from the driveway. I am in southwest Va.so we don't normally get big snows. I would like to hear the pros and cons and dos and don'ts of using a four wheeler for snow removal. Thank-you for your help.

You probably will not need chains in VA on a paved drive. Are you sure you want a ATV? or a tractor for mowing too? Try to think of other uses for whatever snow clearing equipment you get. a ATV in VA on a paved drive will do fine- and its fun to ride and use for work like firewood hauling or deer hunting, etc. A tractor does the same plus more. An ATV is quicker- but can be lightweight in heavy wet stuff. A tractor is slower but can handle anything in VA area. An ATV is a great riding machine, work machine, towing. same with RTV. A tractor is slower, but powerful, more versatile then ATV, cant be ridden on trails for fun.

You either have money to burn and love toys and can get what you want or try to get something that is dual purpose or has multiple uses.

/ question for experienced snow removers #26  
kubotahoo said:
When you guys move snow with a blade on the rear of a tractor, do you scrape moving forward or backing-up. Just wondering what most of you do.

Both. I use an 7' blade turned so its still wider than the tractor. For snow its in normal forward direction of the blade. when spreading gravel i find it works better using the wrong side of the curve. Make sense?

I have an L2050 tractor, but I was thinking about getting the ATV because like you mentioned it might be quicker and can be used for other things. I was also thinking that the ATV might do less damage to the driveway. I appreciate all the info I am getting from everyone.

The blade positioning makes sense, but are you driving your tractor forward or backing -up

/ question for experienced snow removers #29  
The blade positioning makes sense, but are you driving your tractor forward or backing -up
Drive forward for the most part,pushing backwards is asking for problems.I have a seven ft.blade and angle and off-set and pull forward.Depends on the weight of your tractor how successfull you can do this.My tractor weighs 7000 lbs.Push back can bend/break expensive parts.

/ question for experienced snow removers #30  

I drive forward mostly. I do push driving backwards once in a whjile in a small space to clear it out. But the blade works best for snowfall around 4" or less. After that, it gets tougher or more ineffective to use the blade and then it's time to put the rear blower on the tractor.

If it's a small snowfall, I can make fast work of the snow when going foward the use the blade to push the snow aside.