question for experienced snow removers

/ question for experienced snow removers #1  

kubotahoo

This past spring we bought a house on a hill with about 300 feet of paved driveway. I am thinking about buying a 4wd four wheeler with a scraper blade to clear snow from the driveway. I am in southwest Va.so we don't normally get big snows. I would like to hear the pros and cons and dos and don'ts of using a four wheeler for snow removal. Thank-you for your help.

/ question for experienced snow removers #2  
Are you asking about an ATV for snow removal?

/ question for experienced snow removers
yes a 4wd four wheeler

/ question for experienced snow removers #4  
An ATV can be used very effectively for clearing snow but on a hill chains would be very helpful and always push down hill. The ATV will work fine unless a repeat of 2009 occurs at which point 20in plus might be difficult . Good luck

/ question for experienced snow removers #5  
i know many people way up here in Northern Minnesota who use ATVs to move snow. A very popular option, as both Polaris and Arctic Cat are made up here. :thumbsup:

Joe

/ question for experienced snow removers #6  
I have a blade on my ATV. For most snows it works great. 8"-12" of powder snow is no problem. These blades are light an have no down force. When the snow is wet and heavy or if the depth of the snow is higher than the blade height the blade will "ride up" over the snow. It's windy here and the snow drifts badly. I have moved a lot of snow with my ATV and blade. It's a serious snow removal tool.

/ question for experienced snow removers #7  
My ATV snow set up;

snow pics020_edited.JPG

/ question for experienced snow removers #8  
i have moved a lot of snow with my ATV and blade. It's a serious snow removal tool.

They're great tools for snow moving on pavement. Shoes are necessary for blade height. I use a synthetic winch rope instead of cable. Makes a nice threesome- atv/plow, boss plow/ford f250, JD 2305/blower and rblade.

/ question for experienced snow removers #9  
As said a very efficent snow tool.I have had an atv snow plow since 1998;one of the first in our area.It doesn't get used much since I purchase a tractor but it will do the job.Goes a lot of places the tractor won't.

/ question for experienced snow removers #10  
You also might want to check out a UTV, like a Deere Gator HPX or an XUV with a plow. They worked great in snow. Also got the bed to haul stuff