Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Default Re: Snow chains on yet?

Pulled them out of the box and set them up. Can have them on in a few minutes. Wont go on until needed, if needed.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

The last tractor chains I used were the Canadian type with the rings. The rings were far enough apart that it gave you the effect of having eight sided tires if you were running down a hard road. Mine were worn out enough that the corks were mostly gone and the rings could act like skates on hard ice. Solved that by welding on short bolts, five or six to a ring and cutting them off at about one inch above the face of the ring. I get the feeling that tractor chains are quite a bit more forgiving then those I use on pickup tires. On a light truck let one side be just one link longer or shorter then the other side and in spite of all the bungee cords or chain tensioners you have applied , the chain will walk off the tire, most usually in the middle of the hill where there is no room for you to fix it. Tractor tires on the other hand seem to accept where you have placed the chain and the amount of side lap there is between the top of the tread and the circle of the side chains. Anything within reason and your good to go.

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Put mine on a week before Thanksgiving -- their a job to put on, and I wanted to do it before things were so cold I'd freeze my fingers off. Nothing worse than smashing frozen fingers between tools and chains!

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Quote Originally Posted by Rad1956 View Post
    Put mine on a week before Thanksgiving -- their a job to put on, and I wanted to do it before things were so cold I'd freeze my fingers off. Nothing worse than smashing frozen fingers between tools and chains!

What makes it so hard? Jack the tractor up, set them on the top, and hook them together. Not that difficult, and easy as pie.

Look at the guys up on the Canadian Ice roads, they can have them on in no time!!
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    International 2500a with Loader

there is a few videos on youtube on how to put you chains on,layout your chain and back up to them and hook a bungee cord thru the tire rim and drive forward and the chain crawls up the tire stop and hook chain together couldn't be easier.i did this last year and works fantastic.check it out.i installed mine today,took a 1/2 hour works slick,no work hoisting heavy chains.
    Last edited by deerseeker001; 12-07-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBos

What makes it so hard? Jack the tractor up, set them on the top, and hook them together. Not that difficult, and easy as pie.

Look at the guys up on the Canadian Ice roads, they can have them on in no time!!
    More power to ya!

Tractor
    International 2500a with Loader

I put the chains on today,took about 1/2 hour,we are suppose to get 4-6 this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBos View Post

That's how I do it. But my chains have C shaped links to connect the two chains that go around the tread and the side chains have levers that tighten everything up. I just jack up a tire, put one end of the chain on the top of the tire, and then spin the tire until the gap in the chains are at about the 4 o'clock position.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

just put the front and rear chains on this morning. was 16F outdoors, but luckily the shop is heated.

Took about 1/2 the time it took me last year. Guess it gets easier over time....till Alzheimer kicks in hehe.

Were due for more-p1011089-jpg snow all week. have about 4-5" on the ground, and more falling. finally. i hate not having a white xmas to get the sleighs out.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    just put the front and rear chains on this morning. was 16F outdoors, but luckily the shop is heated.

Took about 1/2 the time it took me last year. Guess it gets easier over time....till Alzheimer kicks in hehe.

Were due for more-p1011089-jpg snow all week. have about 4-5" on the ground, and more falling. finally. i hate not having a white xmas to get the sleighs out.

Good looking horsepower.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast