Snow chains on yet?

/ Snow chains on yet? #31  
Pulled them out of the box and set them up. Can have them on in a few minutes. Wont go on until needed, if needed.

/ Snow chains on yet? #32  
The last tractor chains I used were the Canadian type with the rings. The rings were far enough apart that it gave you the effect of having eight sided tires if you were running down a hard road. Mine were worn out enough that the corks were mostly gone and the rings could act like skates on hard ice. Solved that by welding on short bolts, five or six to a ring and cutting them off at about one inch above the face of the ring. I get the feeling that tractor chains are quite a bit more forgiving then those I use on pickup tires. On a light truck let one side be just one link longer or shorter then the other side and in spite of all the bungee cords or chain tensioners you have applied , the chain will walk off the tire, most usually in the middle of the hill where there is no room for you to fix it. Tractor tires on the other hand seem to accept where you have placed the chain and the amount of side lap there is between the top of the tread and the circle of the side chains. Anything within reason and your good to go.

/ Snow chains on yet? #33  
Put mine on a week before Thanksgiving -- their a job to put on, and I wanted to do it before things were so cold I'd freeze my fingers off. Nothing worse than smashing frozen fingers between tools and chains!

/ Snow chains on yet? #34  
Put mine on a week before Thanksgiving -- their a job to put on, and I wanted to do it before things were so cold I'd freeze my fingers off. Nothing worse than smashing frozen fingers between tools and chains!

What makes it so hard? Jack the tractor up, set them on the top, and hook them together. Not that difficult, and easy as pie.

Look at the guys up on the Canadian Ice roads, they can have them on in no time!!

/ Snow chains on yet? #35  
there is a few videos on youtube on how to put you chains on,layout your chain and back up to them and hook a bungee cord thru the tire rim and drive forward and the chain crawls up the tire stop and hook chain together couldn't be easier.i did this last year and works fantastic.check it out.i installed mine today,took a 1/2 hour works slick,no work hoisting heavy chains.

Last edited:
   / Snow chains on yet? #36  
WilliamBos said:
What makes it so hard? Jack the tractor up, set them on the top, and hook them together. Not that difficult, and easy as pie.

Look at the guys up on the Canadian Ice roads, they can have them on in no time!!

More power to ya!

/ Snow chains on yet? #37  
I put the chains on today,took about 1/2 hour,we are suppose to get 4-6 this weekend.

/ Snow chains on yet? #38  

That's how I do it. But my chains have C shaped links to connect the two chains that go around the tread and the side chains have levers that tighten everything up. I just jack up a tire, put one end of the chain on the top of the tire, and then spin the tire until the gap in the chains are at about the 4 o'clock position.

/ Snow chains on yet? #39  
just put the front and rear chains on this morning. was 16F outdoors, but luckily the shop is heated.

Took about 1/2 the time it took me last year. Guess it gets easier over time....till Alzheimer kicks in hehe.

Were due for more P1011089.JPG snow all week. have about 4-5" on the ground, and more falling. finally. i hate not having a white xmas to get the sleighs out.

/ Snow chains on yet? #40  
just put the front and rear chains on this morning. was 16F outdoors, but luckily the shop is heated.

Took about 1/2 the time it took me last year. Guess it gets easier over time....till Alzheimer kicks in hehe.

Were due for moreView attachment 292275 snow all week. have about 4-5" on the ground, and more falling. finally. i hate not having a white xmas to get the sleighs out.

Good looking horsepower.