Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Snow chains on yet?

I don't see any need to jack up a tractor to put chains on it. Just drape them over the wheel, bungee cord or tie the front lose end to the rim and drive forward. Hook them up then drive them forward and back a few times and see if you can get another link tighter. Just my

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    I don't see any need to jack up a tractor to put chains on it. Just drape them over the wheel, bungee cord or tie the front lose end to the rim and drive forward. Hook them up then drive them forward and back a few times and see if you can get another link tighter. Just my
    By jacking it up I can put them on inside the shop where it's dry without having to worry about running out of room. I do the dump/ plow truck outside. I simply drape them over the top of the wheels with the end behind the truck and then drive forward until the gap is at about half way up behind the truck.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Well I suppose that if you have a nice shop filled with tools, jacks and whatnot you might as well use them. I need to build a shop as I've gone too long without one. But if your shop is sooo crowded that you can't run you tractor back and fort a wheel turn in it you either have too many toys or not enough shop. :-)

Tractor
    B3000 HSDCC

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    But if your shop is sooo crowded that you can't run you tractor back and fort a wheel turn in it you either have too many toys or not enough shop. :-)
    It's always "Not Enough Shop", never "Too Many Toys"
    2012 Kubota B3000, block heater, filled rears, rear wheel spacers, fender extensions, LA403 w/60" bucket, BH77 w/12" bucket & mechanical thumb, Kubota pin-type QA, Kubota forks, Caroni TM1600 flail, Buhler Allied YC6010 3pt blower, Meyer 72" FEL mounted plow, Midwest LR2072 rake

Previous machines:

2008 Kubota B3030 (Open Station), LA403, BH75, 4 - 55w halogen front & rear ROPS mounted worklights with L39 dash switches
    2004 Case NH DX24E Subcompact

Kubotas from Barlow's

I quite agree with that but the "Guardian of the checkbook" seldom sees it that way.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

ya, the nice heated shop and a bottle jack won out for me when installing chains. plus its easier to rotate the tire while setting the springs and getting out the slack.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7610HSD

I'm still set up for logging and have about a dozen trees to haul out this weekend for firewood. No snow in the forcast for a week. I still have to dig out my plow and blower from storage.

I won't put chains on unless I get an ice buildup on the driveway, or they forecast ice & freezing rain on top of a snowbase. Tractor has plenty of traction and power for snow.

Tractor
    Massey 1533

Question: This year I have made room in my Garage with a concrete floor for my tractor. This makes it easier to start in the winter months. I have chains for all four tires (ladder type), not the kind with the cleats on them, just regular chain links. Will driving the tractor in/out of the garage do damage to the concrete floor? it is a medium size compact tractor, Massey 1533 (rear tires are about 4 1/2' tall)

THanks,

Doug
    Massey 1533, Gotta Love Honey-Doos now!

That depends on the quality and strength of the concrete. If it is high strength it will take a lot of just driving in but if it was over watered and self leveling done by a crew in a hurry it can chip out pretty fast. Also if you have a nice smooth finish it only takes a few dings to make it look bad. If you are fussy about your floor you might just put down some OS board or plywood to protect it.

Tractor
    2001 JD 790

ok...here's another argument/discussion for us all......I have had chains on my tractor.....and just the front tires....I know I'm gonna hear about that too lololol. BUT...last year I had mu driveway paved with asphalt.....I have not put my chains on since cause i'm scared of damaging the pavement. I live on the coast of Maine where we can either get nailed with heavy snow or all rain...it's a tossup. So far I've been ok with no chains. Now mind you...I have a JD790 and a fairly long drive that's uphill. I always move my snow going uphill so it's easy to backup. what are your thoughts on the paved drive with chains?
    2001 John Deere 790, 579 hours,#70 FEL and ballast Box. 5ft Curtis Cab plow. Cab, and chipper on the wish list!
    '92 Mazda Miata w/hardtop (Hers)
    '01 Harley Ultra
    '83 Harley FLHS (My baby)
    Custom built Ultima chopper with 120" power plant! VROOM!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast