Snow chains on yet?

/ Snow chains on yet? #51  
I would not use chains if the driveway is paved. Its just going to chew it up. That is what has kept me from paving my driveway because its a steep hill and I have to have chains to get up it when its covered with snow and ice.

/ Snow chains on yet? #52  
my thoughts exactly Ace.....mine is uphill also but not too steep so I can manage and maneuver ok. I just have to move my snow in an upward movement so I can back out of things instead. So far so good :)

/ Snow chains on yet? #53  
Just wondering if everyone has their chains on yet. We got done with Thanksgiving early so had some time this afternoon to put them on. I know how to put mine on but even at that it takes me a couple of hours. I don't have very much fender clearance and the chains have to be centered, tight, tucked, and safety wired.

I have the same problem with the fender clearance and I think the ag tires make it harder. (NH Boomer 35hp) Some people tell me they jack up the tractor so the wheel is off the ground but I don't have a jack that tall. It's a process. I've got all four side links tight but still need to connect the links in the middle over the tread.
Any tips or tricks out there?

/ Snow chains on yet? #54  
My chains are going on today............It's time.:thumbsup:

/ Snow chains on yet? #55  
I have a 21000 sqft black top driveway, using a JD4600, soft cab, 8' plow with hydraulic angle and 8' snowblower. There are hills and always snowblow down a hill if possible. The house is on a hill and the barn is down the hill. The only way to snowblow with industrial tires is with chains, and there appears to be no long term damage to the driveway other than the sealer. We also have a JD2305 with a front mount snowblower, turf tires and Curtis cab and did not need chains. We had snow forcasted for 12-19-12, I put the snow equipment on 12-18-12.

/ Snow chains on yet? #56  
I put mine on last month, knowing I would need them when it snows here. South east corner of Whitman County, Washington state. I have a 1965 International 424 gas tractor 2 Wheel drive with a 6' bucket mounted on the front. I understand that the bucket is a bit oversize for the tractor, so I take it easy and try not to overload the front end. The chains are very heavy, and I could have sure used an extra pair of hands when putting them on. I have only had the rig 2 years and the chains came with it, the cross chains tend to fall between the treads, but when the tires slip, the centrifical force throws the cross chains out a bit, and some of them end up across the tread bars and grip the ice well. I have the chains mounded as tight as I can get them, and any extra chain is safety wired down so I don't have chain banging against the fenders. I also have bungy cords cross mounted to snug the chains as tight as possible. Seems to work out well. My driveway runs straight up a bit of a hill, so I run up the hill and push the snow down the hill. I still need to get a load of 3/4 - gravel to dust the driveway after plowing, as it tends to be icy after plowing. Don't know if we will get much snow this winter, but I am ready. I also have my snow thrower ready to go to get into the tight places that the tractor is just too big to access. It has tracks and does well in the snow.

/ Snow chains on yet? #57  
Just wondering if everyone has their chains on yet. We got done with Thanksgiving early so had some time this afternoon to put them on. I know how to put mine on but even at that it takes me a couple of hours. I don't have very much fender clearance and the chains have to be centered, tight, tucked, and safety wired.

i have mine on already ,we have had 3 good snow falls so i like to geet them on early.it ntakes me a good 1 hr or two also but im pretty fusy to .i take my fenders off my tractor as my 4105 JD also has minimal clerance. so i made small fenders for the front part of my fender out of metal painted it all pretty JD green so my feet are safe and can't get caught in the chained area.works great:thumbsup::

/ Snow chains on yet? #58  
Chains will damage asphalt and concrete. even the sites that sell chains warn about this. V chains will do the most damage. I am running 2 link chains, and can see dents and dings on my concrete pad in the overhang. ive added plywood on top of floor during winter

/ Snow chains on yet? #59  
my dad got a TC30 he loves it it took me a long time to talk him in to it he use to come up and use my B 1750 kobota ,he got hooked lol .now my brothers and my boys tell him hes got the most expensive rascal there is out there .he just laughs ,he uses it more then his 580 L backhoe

/ Snow chains on yet? #60  
I have asphalt and chains on the tractor and truck. The MPCs on the tractor were great today, bt ths is te first year so we will see.
The plow truck has v bars and the only time they mark the driveway is when I get stupid and spin the tires. I ran ice chains on the truck for about one plow before switching to v bars. Spin the tires with ice chains and it will mess up the pavement REAL quick!