Tractor
    John Deere X485SE, JD 318

Default Best use of a rear blade

I traded my JD X320 with 44" blade front in for a JD X485. I can't afford a hydraulic front blade for it, so I bought a Frontier RB2060L to use on the 3PH to move snow. Can I get your thoughts on the best way to use it to move snow? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
    2004 JD X485SE w/cat1 3ph, JD Quick Hitch - 54c Deck, w/Mulch Kit
    1988 JD 318 - 50" Deck
    JD/Frontier 48" Box Blade (BB2048)
    JD/Frontier 5' Rear Blade (RB2060L)
    JD 17p Poly Cart
    JD 42" Lawn Sweeper
    JD 48" Core Aerator

County Line Boom Pole
    SMA 15Gal pull behind Sprayer
    Agri-Fab 75# Spreader
    Agri-Fab 40" Dethatcher
    Swisher 36" Spike Roller
    2009 JD X320 - TRADED
    1998 Honda Harmony 1011 - DEAD

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Default Re: Best use of a rear blade

my rear blade is stuck in the forward position and I have gotten too lazy to free it up. I just use it the way it is and push snow backwards with it. It actually works out better because it doesn't dig into the gravel that way. pushing backwards and lifting when I get to a pile makes me be able to pile snow 4'-5' high. I push it far enough into the grass that I can go pretty much all season without it encroaching back onto the driveway. Also, which may be obvious, I try to push the snow in the direction the the usual wind direction won't blow it back in. (around here the wind is almost always out of the west, so I pile on the east side). Chains and wheel weights will be your friend.

Tractor
    John Deere 4520

Quote Originally Posted by TractrNoob
    I traded my JD X320 with 44" blade front in for a JD X485. I can't afford a hydraulic front blade for it, so I bought a Frontier RB2060L to use on the 3PH to move snow. Can I get your thoughts on the best way to use it to move snow? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
    Your experience with a rear blade vs. a front blade will be much different as it relates to snow. Good luck.
    Gary

JD 4520, 400X FEL, Frontier Front Blade, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Landscape Rake, 48" Wildkat Grapple and PHD

Tractor
    John Deere X485SE, JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen View Post
    my rear blade is stuck in the forward position and I have gotten too lazy to free it up. I just use it the way it is and push snow backwards with it. It actually works out better because it doesn't dig into the gravel that way. pushing backwards and lifting when I get to a pile makes me be able to pile snow 4'-5' high. I push it far enough into the grass that I can go pretty much all season without it encroaching back onto the driveway. Also, which may be obvious, I try to push the snow in the direction the the usual wind direction won't blow it back in. (around here the wind is almost always out of the west, so I pile on the east side). Chains and wheel weights will be your friend.
    Thanks! Makes sense to push it backwards rather than pull it forwards. I actually already have it set up that way. My lil tractor is 2WD, so I'll add all of the weight I can. I'm going to load the tires this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JD 4520 View Post
    Your experience with a rear blade vs. a front blade will be much different as it relates to snow. Good luck.
    I hear what you're saying. It's not an ideal situation, but it's what I have to deal with. That's why i'm hoping to find someone who has some had success with it. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -rb-ready-winter-jpg  
    2004 JD X485SE w/cat1 3ph, JD Quick Hitch - 54c Deck, w/Mulch Kit
    1988 JD 318 - 50" Deck
    JD/Frontier 48" Box Blade (BB2048)
    JD/Frontier 5' Rear Blade (RB2060L)
    JD 17p Poly Cart
    JD 42" Lawn Sweeper
    JD 48" Core Aerator

County Line Boom Pole
    SMA 15Gal pull behind Sprayer
    Agri-Fab 75# Spreader
    Agri-Fab 40" Dethatcher
    Swisher 36" Spike Roller
    2009 JD X320 - TRADED
    1998 Honda Harmony 1011 - DEAD

Tractor
    John Deere 4520

Quote Originally Posted by TractrNoob
    Thanks! Makes sense to push it backwards rather than pull it forwards. I actually already have it set up that way. My lil tractor is 2WD, so I'll add all of the weight I can. I'm going to load the tires this weekend.
    Be careful with pushing backwards as this will put undo stress on the 3pt and frame and specifically not recommended by Deere so beware of the risk.
    Gary

JD 4520, 400X FEL, Frontier Front Blade, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Landscape Rake, 48" Wildkat Grapple and PHD

Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

For about 10 years my snow fighter was a Ford 1210 with a 60" rear blade. For light snows I'd drive forward through the snow with the blade angled to one side. For deeper snows it was a matter of spinning the blade around and pushing. After getting a tractor with a loader I still use the same approach quite a bit.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2216

This video below is pretty much how I do it with my Mahindra tractor. I do have rear chains and if I'm on an uphill incline with heavy snow I use 4 wheel drive. When you turn make sure you remember to watch where the blade swings so you don't clip something.
    John Deere 1026R plowing snow - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by TractrNoob View Post
    I've used one for a bunch of years. I highly recommend installing a hyd. cylinder for power angle. One place that's particularly handy is when going forward and turning sharply, like at the end of the drive, adjust the angle of the to the opposite side of the direction you're turning. When making a sharp turn the blade swings away, to the outside of the turn, dropping snow to the inside. Changing the angle of the blade to the left (so the snow would windrow to the left side) while making a sharp right turn will minimize the amount of snow dropped as the blade swings.

I hope that makes sense.