Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Best use of a rear blade

/ Best use of a rear blade #1  

TractrNoob

Tractor
John Deere X485SE, JD 318
I traded my JD X320 with 44" blade front in for a JD X485. I can't afford a hydraulic front blade for it, so I bought a Frontier RB2060L to use on the 3PH to move snow. Can I get your thoughts on the best way to use it to move snow? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

/ Best use of a rear blade #2  
my rear blade is stuck in the forward position and I have gotten too lazy to free it up. I just use it the way it is and push snow backwards with it. It actually works out better because it doesn't dig into the gravel that way. pushing backwards and lifting when I get to a pile makes me be able to pile snow 4'-5' high. I push it far enough into the grass that I can go pretty much all season without it encroaching back onto the driveway. Also, which may be obvious, I try to push the snow in the direction the the usual wind direction won't blow it back in. (around here the wind is almost always out of the west, so I pile on the east side). Chains and wheel weights will be your friend.

/ Best use of a rear blade #3  
TractrNoob said:
I traded my JD X320 with 44" blade front in for a JD X485. I can't afford a hydraulic front blade for it, so I bought a Frontier RB2060L to use on the 3PH to move snow. Can I get your thoughts on the best way to use it to move snow? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Your experience with a rear blade vs. a front blade will be much different as it relates to snow. Good luck.

/ Best use of a rear blade
my rear blade is stuck in the forward position and I have gotten too lazy to free it up. I just use it the way it is and push snow backwards with it. It actually works out better because it doesn't dig into the gravel that way. pushing backwards and lifting when I get to a pile makes me be able to pile snow 4'-5' high. I push it far enough into the grass that I can go pretty much all season without it encroaching back onto the driveway. Also, which may be obvious, I try to push the snow in the direction the the usual wind direction won't blow it back in. (around here the wind is almost always out of the west, so I pile on the east side). Chains and wheel weights will be your friend.
Thanks! Makes sense to push it backwards rather than pull it forwards. I actually already have it set up that way. My lil tractor is 2WD, so I'll add all of the weight I can. I'm going to load the tires this weekend.

Your experience with a rear blade vs. a front blade will be much different as it relates to snow. Good luck.
I hear what you're saying. It's not an ideal situation, but it's what I have to deal with. That's why i'm hoping to find someone who has some had success with it. Thanks!

Attachments

• RB Ready for winter.jpg
    RB Ready for winter.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 555
   / Best use of a rear blade #5  
TractrNoob said:
Thanks! Makes sense to push it backwards rather than pull it forwards. I actually already have it set up that way. My lil tractor is 2WD, so I'll add all of the weight I can. I'm going to load the tires this weekend.

Be careful with pushing backwards as this will put undo stress on the 3pt and frame and specifically not recommended by Deere so beware of the risk.

/ Best use of a rear blade #6  
For about 10 years my snow fighter was a Ford 1210 with a 60" rear blade. For light snows I'd drive forward through the snow with the blade angled to one side. For deeper snows it was a matter of spinning the blade around and pushing. After getting a tractor with a loader I still use the same approach quite a bit.

/ Best use of a rear blade #7  
This video below is pretty much how I do it with my Mahindra tractor. I do have rear chains and if I'm on an uphill incline with heavy snow I use 4 wheel drive. When you turn make sure you remember to watch where the blade swings so you don't clip something.
John Deere 1026R plowing snow - YouTube

/ Best use of a rear blade #8  

I've used one for a bunch of years. I highly recommend installing a hyd. cylinder for power angle. One place that's particularly handy is when going forward and turning sharply, like at the end of the drive, adjust the angle of the to the opposite side of the direction you're turning. When making a sharp turn the blade swings away, to the outside of the turn, dropping snow to the inside. Changing the angle of the blade to the left (so the snow would windrow to the left side) while making a sharp right turn will minimize the amount of snow dropped as the blade swings.

I hope that makes sense.