You're method of 'chaining'

/ You're method of 'chaining' #1  

unbidden

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
I'd be interested in knowing the method, tire size/tractor size and type of tire (AG's, Ind, etc) you all are installing chains on. By what method; do you lay the chains out and drive onto them, jack the tractor up, pull the wheel off??? How long does it take you to chain? Some of you may have a tip or two that will help ease and speed up the process.

On my BX2660, I'm hoping it's not too difficult should I need to chain.

Thanks, LL

/ You're method of 'chaining' #2  
I park the tractor inside, go have a cup of coffee while telling the misses that I'm busy with the tractor, then come back with the tractor warm and jack up the back end. Pull out the chains and get them set in place. I tie the loose links on with #9 wire,

/ You're method of 'chaining' #3  
I normaly don't take mine off.. I have turfs for the summer and ag's with chains for the other 4 seasons.. I'v always run them loose in the past but this years I'm trying tight..so far so good... Oooo and to put them on I jack it up and roll the the tire..

/ You're method of 'chaining' #4  
I also keep the chains hung in the shed.
Also have the opportunity to not have to install them when the tractor is wet etc.

Dry, and reasonably warm and clean place to work makes it easier.

Keep safe

/ You're method of 'chaining' #5  
Truck and tractor get jacked up and put on stands. Put one side on, then use it as a guide for the other side, i.e. how many links you used for attaching.
Took me 2 hrs to get one side of my tractor chains yesterday b/c it was the first time and I got tensioners for these, other side took about 1/2 hr.
Plow truck took less than 20 min for both sides today, I have those down pretty good!

I run mine as tight as I can get them. Less wear and better traction IMO.

/ You're method of 'chaining' #7  
I purchased mine with turf tires, because of the chain issue. I lay my chains on the ground, then back over them and pull the front side up over the tires.
After some grunting and cussing, they go on:laughing:

/ You're method of 'chaining' #8  
I jack one wheel up at a time and roll the chain on to the tire. I like the chains tight and rolling the tire lets me center the chains and locate the chains in between the lugs on the tire. I also safety chain the "tails" of the chain and the chain binders. Rolling the tire makes this easier for me also. It also makes it easier for me to put the tenisioners on.

/ You're method of 'chaining' #9  
I lay mine out road side up,tie a short rope from the side chain through the wheel to the other side chain. Drive forward and pull the chains up over the tires. Hook em up and off you go, no lifting or jacking.

/ You're method of 'chaining' #10  
I lay mine out road side up,tie a short rope from the side chain through the wheel to the other side chain. Drive forward and pull the chains up over the tires. Hook em up and off you go, no lifting or jacking.

I do the heavy rear DUO chains similar to groundcover. For the smaller and lighter fronts (2 link ladder type) I raise the front wheels by lowering the bucket and feed them on by rotating the wheel by hand.