PTO shaft with shear pins for snowblowers....

/ PTO shaft with shear pins for snowblowers.... #1  

Buckgnarly

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DS3510
I just got to use my 68" Metero for a little bit this past weekend, and have question for those that have run a snowblower with shear pin shaft.....

I got the blower with an aftermarket shaft, so after consulting with the local JD dealer we went with a whole new shaft that they use for their JD blowers.....was cheaper than getting a new shear pin yoke beleive it or not! The shaft itself is smaller than the one I got with the blower, I beleive it is a Class 3 while the other one was a 4.

So when I let off the clutch (gear Kioti DS3510) I sheared the PTO pin. I think I let it out a little fast, but now I am worried that the shear pin size may not match the blower and/or tractor HP. I did run it a few times after that and no problems with the pin, but did not really load up the blower as there was not nearly enough snow.

Sooooo....anyone want to chime in? Oh yeah, the shear pin is an M6.

/ PTO shaft with shear pins for snowblowers....
Well, talked to MK Martin,a 68" should have an M8 shear pin......now I have to look into getting it reamed out to an M8. This will never end.......:confused2:

/ PTO shaft with shear pins for snowblowers.... #3  
buckgnarly,

I had an older JD 750 w/standard transmission. When using a 60" rear snow blower if I let the clutch out too quickly the shear pin would go. I was using a 5/16" grade 5 bolt on that particular unit. If I eased the clutch no problems. Never a problem with heavy snow either.

/ PTO shaft with shear pins for snowblowers.... #4  
I usually go through 2-3 shear pins a season. I have a HST so I do not have to worry about letting the clutch out too fast. I also have a 68" Meteor and I just use regular grade bolts for the shear pin on the shaft. It is easier to change that one than the one on the auger. I keep 6-8 spares in my tool box on the tractor with a couple of wrenches, I am usually back up and running in less than 5 mins.

/ PTO shaft with shear pins for snowblowers....
Talked to teh JD dealer, they are going to get me the next size up shaft....MK Martin advised that after talking ot them again. I got a Comer T20, when that blower should have a T40 with M8 shear pin. Good thing too, the shear pin I replaced the broken one with was already a little tweaked, looks like the M6 is way too small for that application.

/ PTO shaft with shear pins for snowblowers.... #6  
Another thing, when everything is new... things are a little tight and you tend to break the pins once and awhile. She will be more forgiving once the blower gets used a little....

/ PTO shaft with shear pins for snowblowers.... #7  
I'm running a rear mounted Pronovost Puma 54" off my B26 and I'm looking for advice on the PTO shaft. I have 100' of gravel driveway and I regularly break the shear bolts, especially at the start of the season when the gravel is exposed. Now, I'd rather break a shear bolt than a gearbox but would replacing the shear bolt PTO with one with a clutch be a good idea?

/ PTO shaft with shear pins for snowblowers.... #8  
Usually it's the shear pin for the snow blower that should break off. I have a gravel driveway (half a mile), and it's always the Meteor shear pin that let goes?

For gravel road I found out those round skid plate: real improvement! 1.5 inche high,

Phil

Attachments

• patin small pic.jpg
    patin small pic.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 783
   / PTO shaft with shear pins for snowblowers.... #9  
Those are really nice pads, did they come with the blower, did you buy them or make them?

/ PTO shaft with shear pins for snowblowers.... #10  
It's an option... They were available thought my dealer, for about 100$. They were made of thick steel plate. Instead of your regular directional front runner, you, we will be able to make a sharp turn without having to raise your blower or to drag a lot of gravel.

Attachments

• skid plate 2.jpg
    skid plate 2.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1,946