beet juice being used on roads instead of tractor tires.

/ beet juice being used on roads instead of tractor tires. #1  

radioman

Tractor
Kubota BX24
I just came across this article today and needless to say , I am surprised. They are using beet juice (rimgaurd ?) and mixing with brine spreading on the roads. After all these years, I never heard of this till today.NYS Thruway Authority to use beet juice to pre-treat roads - Victor, NY - Victor Post

MPNnow.com
The New York State Thruway Authority will use thousands of tons of rock salt as well as an innovative anti-icing mix of sugar beet juice and brine used to pre-treat roadways to fight winter weather conditions.

The beet juice and brine mixture has in recent years proven to be an effective pre-treatment to prevent icing.

/ beet juice being used on roads instead of tractor tires. #2  
Wow, and they charge a pretty penny for a tire fill.

/ beet juice being used on roads instead of tractor tires. #3  
It is quite common for some Canadian locations. I'm quite sure Calgary uses it.
I pretty sure they don't pay Rimguard prices.:)

/ beet juice being used on roads instead of tractor tires. #4  
They been using it in N.B. for at least 2 years, on designated road.

/ beet juice being used on roads instead of tractor tires. #5  
Is beet juice non-corrosive? I'm guessing that's not the reason, if they mix it with rock salt.

/ beet juice being used on roads instead of tractor tires. #6  
Is beet juice non-corrosive? I'm guessing that's not the reason, if they mix it with rock salt.

As far as I know, it is not use with salt, that's the whole idea, it is more environmental friendly.

/ beet juice being used on roads instead of tractor tires. #7  
Beet juice is totally non -hazardous on its own. But it is a sticky, brown, mess. I think it is mixed with brine for highway use.

Here is a Canadian supplier's site:

http://www.geomelt.ca/

/ beet juice being used on roads instead of tractor tires. #8  
They probably mix the beet juice with some chlorides. mag, or calcium. NY actually started using beet juice last winter.. if that's what your supposed have called it.

/ beet juice being used on roads instead of tractor tires. #9  
It is quite common for some Canadian locations. I'm quite sure Calgary uses it.
I pretty sure they don't pay Rimguard prices.:)

They use it here in Ottawa all the time. I don't think it's beet juice they're using, I'm pretty sure it's s calcium cloride solution.

/ beet juice being used on roads instead of tractor tires. #10  
If they ever get around to using my patented method for deicing and snow control
they will be using beet molasses with salt brine which will only cost one twentieth
of what they waste every year on magnesium and calcium chloride.

Beet molasses has residual salt as the sugar beet root pulls normally occuring salts out of the soil while growing.

The beet juice is beet waste procesing water with much less salt in it. I do not remember if the beet juice is centrifuged/decanted to get rid of solids at the same time or simply passed through a vacuum filter and then packaged

Last edited: