snow plows

/ snow plows #11  
I fabbed up a sub frame that mounts to the loader mounts and hangs off the brush guard on my L3400 Kubota. The secret is to have the Lifting arm removeable. Drop the plow and pull the lift arm off and there is no conflict with the loader. Granted you do lose some ground clearance. But with 6 bolts, the entire subframe and lift arm mount comes off. There is a thread on here about it. It is pretty slick having a full hydraulic plow using the existing loader hydraulics While retaining full use of the loader.

I did have to add some tire chains to the front wheels to be able to push in the direction that I wanted.

/ snow plows #13  
Thomas I think you may have me by a foot in piling height. I can pile around 8 feet or so, but I take my bucket off and mount to loader arms with my A frame and blade.

/ snow plows
That sounds like a nice set-up you have. I was contemplating something like that so that I could keep the plow closer to the front of the tractor, but have decided to just get a quick attach plow and see how it works. I found a guy who refurbishes old plows and welds on quick attach plates to them so was able to get a really good deal on a used 90 inch plow. My biggest concern was going out and buying a new quick attach plow for $3k or so and then being disappointed with how it functioned. I have found that there is nothing worse than spending time to get things set up and then finding that if you had just asked a few questions first, you can spare yourself plenty of time and money. Given our annual snowfall in the mid-Atlantic, I am sure the quick attach plow on my loader will do just fine. Thanks for the feedback on what has worked well with your machine. Always helpful to hear back from individuals with experience.

/ snow plows #15  
I have a Hiniker Big Ox plow on my FEL and it works great. Whether you make one or buy one new, there are a few things to look for:
1) Floating Plow. This is a must have as far as I'm concerned. If I rely only on the FEL float with the weight of the arms included, it adds a great deal of stress to the FEL. It's also more difficult to plow and steer. Having the blade float up and down on it's own is a big advantage.
2) Tilt/Float feature. Mine also allows for a free float left to right. The blade can have the left or right side raise of lower to follow drive contours. I think it moves approximately 10 degrees.
3) Big skid shoes. I had extra large shoes (10 - 12" disks) made for mine that allow me to use the plow on my soft gravel drive much easier.
4) Break away trip. This saves the FEL stress whenever I hit a bump, frozen ice clump, edge of a ditch, etc. The blade trips forward and skips over the obstacle, then springs back into place afterwards.

The quick detach is also very nice when I want to use the bucket for something during the winter. It only takes seconds to swap back and forth.

/ snow plows
I made sure that the guy I am buying the refurbished plow from put new shoes on the plow. I have a very old asphalt driveway that I am trying to get another couple of years out of before it needs replacing and have been worried that a heavy plow will tear it up if I am not careful. The plow I bought only weighs about 670 lbs versus a lot of the name brand plows of the same size weighing 850 to 900 pounds. I am not sure about the "floating" plow feature, but it does have a hydraulic relief valve so that if I catch an edge, the plow will give versus before the loader arms. Additionally it has the usual springs in place to absorb the shock of catching an edge on ice or just trying to push too much. I talked to a few folks about the trip edge design, but came to the conclusion that they are harder on surfaces than a traditional pivot plow. They sound incredibly handy for parking lots or commercial plow jobs where you are likely to hit curbs and parking blocks, but probably more than a homeowner needs to take care of a long driveway. I will check with my guy on the floating element. That sounds very handy.

/ snow plows #17  
I am a new user and looking for feedback on snow plows for a 59 horsepower Kubota tractor. I have a loader with quick attach mount for various implements and wondering how the snow plow implement works? I have read/heard that the torque of plowing snow can bend the loader arms. If true, is there any way to stabilize arms to absorb the extra torque when plowing? I am considering a frame mount plow and just removing the loader during snow season, but recognizing I use the loader frequently year round and don't like the thought taking it on and off for the frame mount plow to fit. Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated.

Been looking at MI and E's Hound dog subframe mounted. Unhooks quick, and you got the FEL back on.
Hound Dog Plow Blades

/ snow plows #19  
SHOT KID.
The higher the pile the longer it last tho well into late spring...slow down spring raking.

/ snow plows #20  
Slickheadhunter

We will need a review from you. Brand new thread. I've bugged the guys at MI and E enough. Should've bought one by now. They've got a good reputation and were easy to talk to.