Tips for Using the Bucket?

/ Tips for Using the Bucket? #21  
Would loading my rear tires help?

ac
Ballasting your rear tires will aid in traction. i agree with the others in regards to chains. Be advised that there are several types of chains. There are forums here on TBN related to different types of chains and their function ability. Best wishes.

/ Tips for Using the Bucket?
I see a lot of guys saying they use the FEL and rear blades. I imagine that would be WAY easier as the rear blade would do the "plowing" and the FEL would just do the "moving".

I was having all sorts of trouble getting the FEL to just "work" to plow.

After deciding it was a failure, I couldn't get back up the driveway with the tractor in 4wd and the FEL NOT on the ground. R4s were not good.

Does anyone know where I can find 2-link chains for 27X10.5-15?

Will rear chains fit on an L45?

ac

/ Tips for Using the Bucket? #23  
avc8130 "Are you using 2 link on the front and rear? Where did you get them?"

I am using the 2 link ladder chain on the rear only due to my pavement, although a vbar will give better traction I was worried about marking the pavement. I bought from a fellow TBN member but he got them from Tire Chains by TireChains.com. I did a search http://www.tirechains.com/27X10.50-15. and found 4 link on the site.

/ Tips for Using the Bucket? #24  
Rear blades are ok for light snow but when it gets heavy and deep the bucket shines. It lets you pile snow away from where you are clearing.:D

/ Tips for Using the Bucket? #25  
Not bragging, thankful , but I've tried FEL bucket , don't care for that , have rear blade and there is a time and place to use it. For years its been the hyd angle front blade, since getting the front snow blower the only way to go..
I will say several years ago I couldn't get the ice off the parking lot at the church. Came and put the FEL on ,angled the bucket and it worked great.

/ Tips for Using the Bucket? #26  
Traction is king. These work great on hills but are hard on pavement.
icechains_zpscf915f05.jpg

/ Tips for Using the Bucket? #27  
AC,

Again - what is your rear ballast? BH still on or none? With nothing on the rear the FEL is almost useless on a TLB.

Carl

AC,

Again - what is your rear ballast? BH still on or none? With nothing on the rear the FEL is almost useless on a TLB.

Carl

Carl,

Sorry that got lost. Backhoe is on, with the 24" quick attach bucket (heaviest I have). Heck, it's even filled with snow :).

I don't want to run a super aggressive chain and destroy my pavement. Again, this is just the backup solution. My truck with snow plow is WORLDS better than tractor has ever been.

ac

/ Tips for Using the Bucket? #29  
We got 6-8" or pure solid wet snow. This was my first attempt at clearing 300' driveway. I had no issues with traction, I had R4's and a BH. I had no problem getting float to work. I also had front end lift up once bucket was full. I found not using float worked better on pavement and also stone if I was careful.

Hats off to those who clear with a FEL. I found it painful and slow. I got frustrated and started my plow truck only to find I couldn't even push the snow with that it was so heavy. Switched back to tractor and got it best I could and then touched it up with plow.

I am very frustrated as well. I was hoping to sell my plow truck but now I don't know. I know there is a learning curve and the snow was super heavy......my blower even had a problem on the sidewalk. Maybe I need a second go at it. It seems like it will take FOREVER taking a scoop at a time and dumping it?

Maybe a back blade?

I found float to be nearly useless, maybe I had angle wrong, I had cutting edge flat? After a few feet front end of tractor just lifted up. Wouldn't lift if not in float would just loose traction eventually.

Ugh. :confused3:

We got 6-8" or pure solid wet snow. This was my first attempt at clearing 300' driveway. I had no issues with traction, I had R4's and a BH. I had no problem getting float to work. I also had front end lift up once bucket was full. I found not using float worked better on pavement and also stone if I was careful.

Hats off to those who clear with a FEL. I found it painful and slow. I got frustrated and started my plow truck only to find I couldn't even push the snow with that it was so heavy. Switched back to tractor and got it best I could and then touched it up with plow.

I am very frustrated as well. I was hoping to sell my plow truck but now I don't know. I know there is a learning curve and the snow was super heavy......my blower even had a problem on the sidewalk. Maybe I need a second go at it. It seems like it will take FOREVER taking a scoop at a time and dumping it?

Maybe a back blade?

I found float to be nearly useless, maybe I had angle wrong, I had cutting edge flat? After a few feet front end of tractor just lifted up. Wouldn't lift if not in float would just loose traction eventually.

Ugh. :confused3:

Thank goodness! Someone else with my pain. Welcome to the misery.

I never had plans to get rid of the plow truck since it is my normal driver/trailer mover. I was just hoping the tractor would be a better backup than it is. I can plow my driveway in ~15 mins with the heat on in my truck...the tractor would take me 2 hours freezing my butt off.

ac