Turf tires - weight box helpful?

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful? #1  

wetstuff

Silver Member
Tractor
J-D 1070, Furgeson F-40
I have a 40hp, 4WD, J-D 1070 with turf tires. I have a custom frame mounted 6' Meyers plow with hyd. Up/Dn ..manual angle.

JD_plow.jpg

We had no measurable snow last year, but I thought better think ahead this year. The year before last, I left the weight box on the back. I had no problems with maybe a 1' of wet, drifting snow. I was thinking of putting a simple blade on the back instead of the weight box.

Do you think the weight box gives me more traction? I don't plan on getting chains for the few times we get hammered by a Nor'easter. I appreciate any advice. Cheers.

Jim

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful? #2  
YES, I would chose the weightbox over any other implement, also gives you more clearance when backing up & turning.
Found that out myself this morning in 10" of heavy-wet snow, 6.5ft grader blade at 150 lbs, in place of the 1000lb weightbox, I miss my weightbox! I'm running 15.5" wide terra-tires, without chains & wheel traction is fine up front, but almost nothing out back & highly noticable.

Shadow

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful? #3  
Type of ground you'll be plowing..flat,slight grade,steep grade.

I use rear blade for ballast..kinda best of both worlds if you will..weight and scrape.

Just for the heck of it try the blade next time Jim.

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful? #4  
1216121120.jpg1201121133b.jpg
This is what I used this morning. I "HAD" to mount a 150 lb concrete ballast to my GB, just to get the 3pt to drop when in float. Without it it took forever unless I idled-down, and it still wasn't enough ballast out back. Pushed a pile of large stone across a muddy-surface this fall with no traction issues when weight-box was on.

Shadow

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful? #5  
This is what I used this morning. I "HAD" to mount a 150 lb concrete ballast to my GB, just to get the 3pt to drop when in float. Without it it took forever unless I idled-down, and it still wasn't enough ballast out back. Pushed a pile of large stone across a muddy-surface this fall with no traction issues when weight-box was on.

1216121120.jpg1201121133b.jpg

Shadow

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful?
Gentlemen - thanks.

Shadow, mine does not stick out quite so far ..but reminding me -that the bugger is back there swinging around- is too distracting for me. I can only handle just so much concentration (pressure) at one time. ...that articulated rig you have looks pretty cool. If I was behind the wheel my drive would look like a lizzard cleared it.

Thomas, Unlike NH, we get these heavy, wet, blowing snows when a Low clears Hatteras and comes up to meet High Pressure. It like the World Has Ended for 48hrs. Then the Sun come out and the temps get back into the balmy 40's. All my work is flat. My drive is about 800' ..but then I pretend I am not playing and go off to "help" others. It's the Wisconsin in me.

Cheers. Jim

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful? #7  
I hear you about those wet snow storms..arrrrr.
Since handful of storms each how about set tire chains..night & day when it comes to to turf tires pushing.

Attachments

• Plowing 1.jpg
    Plowing 1.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Plowing 2.jpg
    Plowing 2.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 193
   / Turf tires - weight box helpful? #8  
Type of ground you'll be plowing..flat,slight grade,steep grade.

I use rear blade for ballast..kinda best of both worlds if you will..weight and scrape.

Just for the heck of it try the blade next time Jim.

Salisbury MD (home of the OP) is on the Eastern Shore of MD...very flat area.
I reckon he'll see more ice then snow.
I'd go with the ballast box...and the front blade is probably overkill in his circumstances.

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful? #9  
Weight box?? Put a backhoe on the back, it's the ideal ballast!

You get the right amount of weight on the back, and you won't have trouble plowing.

I plow on gravel with turfs, and have no trouble doing it.

Looks like the loader hanging up there is giving you a forward CG, taking weight off the rear wheels. For now, you would be better off without it.

/ Turf tires - weight box helpful? #10