Snow Equipment Owning/Operating When do you start removing snow

/ When do you start removing snow #1  

Lebneh

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I'm sure, like everything else it all depends on the specific situation but I am also sure that most people probably have a general rule if thumb that they operate off of.

- wait until the snow stops?
- the day after the storm ?
- when the snow hits a current number of inches ?
- when the snow changes from powder to slushy stuff?

I don't think there is a "right" answer, I am just curious how people handle it.

/ When do you start removing snow #2  
I like to wait til I get 4 to 5 inches then start removing it.

/ When do you start removing snow #3  
It also depends what your equiptment can handle.I got behind on the last storm...18 inches of very dense snow.My tractor weighs 7000lbs and had all it wanted with eight ft.plow on the front.I don't plow unless there is four inches or so.

/ When do you start removing snow #4  
Since I use a blower..... I like clearing the drive when everything is still frozen, powder blows better than slush. I like clearing the snow when there is a definate wind direction, or no wind, swirling/constant changing direction wind is not good if you don't have a cab... I try to do it about 10:30 ish, since that is about the time the County plows my road and I can get it done out by the mailbox for the mailman [ do several neighbors boxes too ]. But everything is relative..... I have a neighbor about a mile away that blows his clean about 4 am... which I tend not to do 'cuz I have neighbors that work.. Also, since I keep my tractor in the barn, I don't like cleaning the drive too late in the day where I can't deal with the snow I bring into the barn properly before I close the barn up for the night...

/ When do you start removing snow #5  
We leave for work at 6 am so I get out and do it around 4:30. If the forecast is for 6 or more I try and do it once half way through the storm as if there is a break down I dont want to shovel only what I have to. I usually follow up with the drifts every night when I get home from work. We have a 100 acre field/golf course on the side of us and it can blow more snow then the storm gives.

/ When do you start removing snow #6  
High measure of snow..12" + plow half storm than final clean up,mostly wait until after storm clean up if not to late in evening.

/ When do you start removing snow #7  
To be honest I'd like to wait until July !!!

/ When do you start removing snow #8  
To be honest I'd like to wait until July !!!

Me too....

But I only snowblow during a storm if someone needs to get in or out. Other than that I wait until it's all over. But the unit i have is 30 inches high. Get drifts higher, but I still try to wait until it's over.

/ When do you start removing snow #9  
When ever I have the sudden urge to operate the tractor. In other terms all the time. I use the excuse I'm going to scrape it down or to clean up along to road.

/ When do you start removing snow #10  
Since I use a blower..... I like clearing the drive when everything is still frozen, powder blows better than slush. I like clearing the snow when there is a definate wind direction, or no wind, swirling/constant changing direction wind is not good if you don't have a cab... I try to do it about 10:30 ish, since that is about the time the County plows my road and I can get it done out by the mailbox for the mailman [ do several neighbors boxes too ]. But everything is relative..... I have a neighbor about a mile away that blows his clean about 4 am... which I tend not to do 'cuz I have neighbors that work.. Also, since I keep my tractor in the barn, I don't like cleaning the drive too late in the day where I can't deal with the snow I bring into the barn properly before I close the barn up for the night...

Pretty much the same here. I wait till the storm is over and the town plow made a couple of pass before I start. Of course its a different story if the storm last 48 hours. :licking: