Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Default When do you start removing snow

I'm sure, like everything else it all depends on the specific situation but I am also sure that most people probably have a general rule if thumb that they operate off of.

- wait until the snow stops?
    - the day after the storm ?
    - when the snow hits a current number of inches ?
    - when the snow changes from powder to slushy stuff?

I don't think there is a "right" answer, I am just curious how people handle it.
    ~Lebneh

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: When do you start removing snow

I like to wait til I get 4 to 5 inches then start removing it.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

It also depends what your equiptment can handle.I got behind on the last storm...18 inches of very dense snow.My tractor weighs 7000lbs and had all it wanted with eight ft.plow on the front.I don't plow unless there is four inches or so.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035, JD 2240, 420

Since I use a blower..... I like clearing the drive when everything is still frozen, powder blows better than slush. I like clearing the snow when there is a definate wind direction, or no wind, swirling/constant changing direction wind is not good if you don't have a cab... I try to do it about 10:30 ish, since that is about the time the County plows my road and I can get it done out by the mailbox for the mailman [ do several neighbors boxes too ]. But everything is relative..... I have a neighbor about a mile away that blows his clean about 4 am... which I tend not to do 'cuz I have neighbors that work.. Also, since I keep my tractor in the barn, I don't like cleaning the drive too late in the day where I can't deal with the snow I bring into the barn properly before I close the barn up for the night...
    48" CID QA forks, 6' EverythingAttachments Land Plane, 78" JRW rear blower, homemade 1 ton rear weight, homemade boom

Tractor
    Kioti ck20

We leave for work at 6 am so I get out and do it around 4:30. If the forecast is for 6 or more I try and do it once half way through the storm as if there is a break down I dont want to shovel only what I have to. I usually follow up with the drifts every night when I get home from work. We have a 100 acre field/golf course on the side of us and it can blow more snow then the storm gives.
    Phil. from Mass.
    2006 Kioti ck20 with 425 hours
    New to me 2011 K120 loader

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

High measure of snow..12" + plow half storm than final clean up,mostly wait until after storm clean up if not to late in evening.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    LS G3033H

To be honest I'd like to wait until July !!!

Quote Originally Posted by G3033H View Post
    To be honest I'd like to wait until July !!!

Me too....

But I only snowblow during a storm if someone needs to get in or out. Other than that I wait until it's all over. But the unit i have is 30 inches high. Get drifts higher, but I still try to wait until it's over.
    TN75D, w/cab, FEL, BH
    7 1/2 ft Lucknow Blower

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MF

When ever I have the sudden urge to operate the tractor. In other terms all the time. I use the excuse I'm going to scrape it down or to clean up along to road.

Tractor
    2008 JD 2305

Quote Originally Posted by JerryK View Post
    Since I use a blower..... I like clearing the drive when everything is still frozen, powder blows better than slush. I like clearing the snow when there is a definate wind direction, or no wind, swirling/constant changing direction wind is not good if you don't have a cab... I try to do it about 10:30 ish, since that is about the time the County plows my road and I can get it done out by the mailbox for the mailman [ do several neighbors boxes too ]. But everything is relative..... I have a neighbor about a mile away that blows his clean about 4 am... which I tend not to do 'cuz I have neighbors that work.. Also, since I keep my tractor in the barn, I don't like cleaning the drive too late in the day where I can't deal with the snow I bring into the barn properly before I close the barn up for the night...
    Pretty much the same here. I wait till the storm is over and the town plow made a couple of pass before I start. Of course its a different story if the storm last 48 hours.
    Henri

How could you be told I was french?

Rotary cutter 4' Howse , mid mount mower 54'' , f.e. loader 200CX , tiller RT1150 Frontier , cultivator PC1001 Frontier , middle buster PM1001 Frontier , JD 47'' front snowblower , pallet forks , 4' boxblade Agriease , grass-sweeper , quick hitch Speeco , trailer hitch , cab Jodale-Perry , trailer 16' galvanized Easy-Hauler ,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast