Toro Snowthrower Power Steering Repair?????

/ Toro Snowthrower Power Steering Repair????? #1  

DIXIEDOG

Platinum Member
Tractor
International 2544 / Gator 825i/L2501/General
I'm having a minor issue with the power steering on my 2005 1028 Powermax snow thrower, if I pull both steering triggers the machine stops even with the traction engaged which is normal....the thing that isn't normal is if I just pull on trigger with traction engaged the snow thrower still drives straight :confused: It should start turning immediately, it always has until this year. Does anyone know how the system works? Is there something that would cause the axles to be locked together under power? I know it's not the cable adjustment because if both triggers are pulled it stops so it has to be something else but I'm not sure what.:confused2:

/ Toro Snowthrower Power Steering Repair????? #2  
About your snow caster;

It sort of reminds me of my fathers older toro
walk behind recycler mower with the 48'' deck
as the 4 speed reversing reduction gear
transmission drives two belts using flat pulleys
for tension to power the two drive wheels.

I am thinking that you have ice and snow in there
or the belts are shot and only behave when that are
cold and slip when heated from use.

Thje transmissions on the recycler behave like the snow casters
where the more tension you place on the drive belts ther faster they travel-
We coould go forward or backward in four speeds by adjusting the gear shift and then
putting pressure on the drive lever that also acted as a deadman lever in either direction when the mower was engaged or off.

/ Toro Snowthrower Power Steering Repair?????
There isn't a problem with the transmission....it moves great forward and reverse. This is the free wheeling power steering feature that is a problem.