Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

Default Damage free cutting edge?

Hello,

Have a woods 72 grader blade. I would like to use it for snow removal on my concrete driveway.

Any suggestions for a cutting edge or other method to prevent the blade from ripping and hanging up on my expensive drive? Thank u!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

Default Re: Damage free cutting edge?

I have read on here some guys putting pvc pipe over them. But don't know how they keep them on, sure would like to know. I need to do it for gravel, here and I would guess there also the ground doesn't freeze up good.

Tractor
    Kubota BX1860

Quote Originally Posted by Leejohn View Post
    I have read on here some guys putting pvc pipe over them. But don't know how they keep them on, sure would like to know. I need to do it for gravel, here and I would guess there also the ground doesn't freeze up good.
    I'd like to know the same thing. Have another thread about using a toothbar and someone brought up the pvc trick but said it fell off. Be nice to get some info on it or other ideas..

Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

I used a piece of polyethelene 2" pipe split first to see how it worked and it did a great job though I did have trouble keeping it from slipping off(some have suggested using abs pipe). Then I took a piece of 2" piece of galvanized and split it along its length and wedged it over the cutting edge of the bucket and welded tabs onto the ends and bolted it through the holes where my tooth bar goes. If we ever get enough snow to push I will install it and put to good use. I use the rear scraper blade in conjunction with the FEL.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Tractor
    JD 1050

This works for me.-img_0270-2-jpg

Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

Here's what I came up with for the tractor at work. It's the tread portion of a tire sandwiched between the blade and the cutting edge. Bumped into the maintenance guy today and he said it worked great. On the stoned areas it deflects itself enough to allow it to roll over the stones. On blacktop it acts like a big squeegee.

-blade-back-jpg

-blade-front-jpg

Edit to add - Today our maintenance guy sprayed the finish paint on the cab I'm building and now he wants one for the company tractor. He smiled when I told him I already ordered and received the material.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM

I have read here that some people suggest getting a stall mat from Tractor Supply and cut strips ands sandwich it between the cutting edge and the blade with a couple inches sticking out. This sounds like a great idea and I plan on trying it as soon as we get snow. I think it should also help on gravel and not gouge the gravel up. I plan on using it on my front blade but it should work great on either end of the tractor.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

Thank u for all the responses!!!

Tractor
    Kubota BX1860

Quote Originally Posted by chuckvan49 View Post
    This works for me.-img_0270-2-jpg
    hey chuck, is that just black pvc pipe? what size? do those epdm bungees really hold it on going forward and back??

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100 HST 4WD

The county road crews used to use a 1" X 4" length of oak board instead of the metal cutting edge on the graders and truck plows and it worked fairly well. This was on the old gravel and chip and seal roads. I don't think they do that anymore, all the roads are now asphalt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast