Proper snow plowing etiquette.........

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #91  
In Maine there is a distinction between amber lights and beacon. Amber lights refer to the flashers most tractors have on top of the cab or the sides of the ROPS. These must be used whenever the vehicle is traveling on a public road at night. Rotating or strobe beacon (also amber) indicates, in theory, that the vehicle is actually at work and not merely in transit. This is meant to warn drivers the vehicle may engage in unexpected maneuvers. Small tractors that don't have flashers must use at least a beacon if they are travelling on public roads.

That's the law, enforcement is at the discretion of local authorities and let's just say I never heard of anyone being cited for failing to use warning lights despite the fact that a lot of guys turn them off and travel using headlights and work lights only because using flashers and work lights at the same time draws a lot of power and on many tractors flashers are automatically disabled when using work lights (one of my tractors does that) and they are too lazy to flip the switch.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #92  
If by "commercially" you mean large parking lots and such then yes...

Nope, I mean for making a living; parking lots, private roads, residential driveways. Anything other than helping out your neighbour.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #93  
I heard that this past Saturday there was an accident locally with a tractor and a car. The driver of the car claimed she didn't see the tractor and the tractor had one small revolving light on it. Not saying she's right or having one light is sufficient but I'm sticking with what I'm using.
Here's a vid from Saturday.

Blowing Snow Feb 2 2013 - YouTube

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #94  
I heard that this past Saturday there was an accident locally with a tractor and a car. The driver of the car claimed she didn't see the tractor and the tractor had one small revolving light on it. Not saying she's right or having one light is sufficient but I'm sticking with what I'm using.

I suppose there are legal definitions or DoT regulations as to what constitutes an acceptable beacon on a yard tractor. I say yard tractor because even the smallest of utility tractors usually come with warning lights of some sort. Yard tractor operators don't always seem to be aware that they are hard to see on the road, and many drive around with just those tiny "headlights" they have and no taillights whatsoever. That"s fine in one's yard but on the street at night it's dangerous.

Last edited:
   / Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #95  
Here's a vid from Saturday.

Blowing Snow Feb 2 2013 - YouTube

Looks like u had some good seat time! Lighting looks good as well.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #96  

How could I have missed that youtube link first time around, I'm getting old lol

The lighting on that tractor is almost exactly the same setup I have on my "little" 4720 (looks roughly the same size as your 'Bot) which I use for residential contracts but I don't have flashers on my blower, I like those! I had installed work lights on the blower to supplement the rear cab-mounted work lights but removed them because the glare of so many lights was causing me eye fatigue. I think the beacon I'm using is exactly the same as yours.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #97  
Looks like u had some good seat time! Lighting looks good as well.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Ya it was pretty good. Thanks.

How could I have missed that youtube link first time around, I'm getting old lol

The lighting on that tractor is almost exactly the same setup I have on my "little" 4720 (looks roughly the same size as your 'Bot) which I use for residential contracts but I don't have flashers on my blower, I like those! I had installed work lights on the blower to supplement the rear cab-mounted work lights but removed them because the glare of so many lights was causing me eye fatigue. I think the beacon I'm using is exactly the same as yours.

There's a vid on the rear blower lights. The top led light is the Whelen mini justice. I like the light and its mounted on a custom light bar I fabricated. I also added led lights to the chute and really find them handy.

Video:

Custom rear Kubota lights - YouTube

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

rl6.jpg

rl7.jpg

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #99  
Kioti killer? What's the story here? :D

Whelen mini justice, yup that's what what I have on both tractors. They installed it on the front of the cab though, not the rear like yours. I didn't care for the original factory-installed beacons from JD. They were post-mounted mechanical rotary beacons that got caught up in branches and consumed a lot of power. And they were noisiy, at low rpm I could hear their motor.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #100  
Dang, that should move some snow!

Thanks. Ya it's not bad. It's handled all the snow It had in front of it up to this point.

Kioti killer? What's the story here? :D

Whelen mini justice, yup that's what what I have on both tractors. They installed it on the front of the cab though, not the rear like yours. I didn't care for the original factory-installed beacons from JD. They were post-mounted mechanical rotary beacons that got caught up in branches and consumed a lot of power. And they were noisiy, at low rpm I could hear their motor.

They are a really good light. I had an old revolving one on my truck years ago and I know the noise they can make.

The story on Koiti Killer. Back in 2008 I almost had a Kioti purchased. The deal was just about made until I asked one last question to the salesman and the question was "Will you deliver the tractor once it arrives"? He replied "Hum, we'll see what we can do". I also asked him when the tractor would arrive and he couldn't give me a definite answer and considering I just had two new snow clearing contracts and winter was a month away I told him to hold off for one more day before placing the order.
Well I drove down the road and noticed a Kubota Grand L 4240 on Kubota's lot and went in to look at it. It was almost $5000. more than the Kioti but I really liked some of the features it had.
I got talking to the salesman there and they dropped the price on the new 4240 to almost the same price as the Kioti so I bought it and they delivered it the next day to my door.

So because of the Kubota product and the dealership it killed the sale of the Kioti I was about to buy and that's where the name Kioti Killer came from. Since 2008 I've purchase four more Kubota's from the same dealer so it goes to prove if you treat the customer right you just might get more sales.

I still think Kioti is a nice product but you'd have a hard time getting me to switch now that I've had a few Kubota's. The Kubota dealership here is outstanding as well and that's a big plus in my opinion.