Proper snow plowing etiquette.........

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #111  
I was hoping to make some nice cash plowing 2-1/2 miles of association roads and assorted driveways this season myself...but have only had 3 snow days this season.

Sucks.

Id rather plow snow then wire houses or shops

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #112  
I was hoping to make some nice cash plowing 2-1/2 miles of association roads and assorted driveways this season myself...but have only had 3 snow days this season.

Sucks.

Id rather plow snow then wire houses or shops
I have been doing 4 14 hour nights a week since christmas :(

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #114  
If by "commercially" you mean large parking lots and such then yes, I use all the lights I have if it's not snowing but for the residential portion of my jobs I usually only use the headlights and two sets of working lights (front and rear), not the whole carnival. If visibility is good I even turn off the beacon on residential streets. Heck, even *I* find the dang thing annoying. I try to avoid flooding homes with lights when it's not necessary. Another thing is noise, I never drop the bucket or pusher near homes (but do it all the time in commercial areas), if there is something that pisses off clients it's the Bucket Bangin' Bum. I use the extra 2 seconds it takes to lower it in a civilized manner instead of just shoving the stick into float. I know guys who lost contracts over this.
It's not necessarily 'commercial' plowing. I live on a blind knoll. I need to get peoples attention as fast as possible.

The former owner of this house drove a school bus...........he was broadsided backing into the driveway. Any and all lighting that will potentially save my life, or my wifes, while clearing our driveway, is being investigated for installation on my tractor.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #115  
If by "commercially" you mean large parking lots and such then yes, I use all the lights I have if it's not snowing but for the residential portion of my jobs I usually only use the headlights and two sets of working lights (front and rear), not the whole carnival. If visibility is good I even turn off the beacon on residential streets. Heck, even *I* find the dang thing annoying. I try to avoid flooding homes with lights when it's not necessary. Another thing is noise, I never drop the bucket or pusher near homes (but do it all the time in commercial areas), if there is something that pisses off clients it's the Bucket Bangin' Bum. I use the extra 2 seconds it takes to lower it in a civilized manner instead of just shoving the stick into float. I know guys who lost contracts over this.

:eek: Holy smoke. The folks who live around your contract area must have some sort of heightened sensitivity when it comes to snow clearing. Seriously. You let your blade down slow as to not make a noise! You turn off your beacon lights so you don't disturb anyone :shocked:

Never heard of anything like this in my life. Been doing this for 25 years plus. Never one complaint and all the same contracts and more. Sounds like where your running your machine is much like walking on egg shells. Gee I only know its time to go plowing when I hear the Department Of Highways truck going up the road with his blade down. If he didn't do that I might have slept through the storm :laughing:

Last edited:
   / Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #116  
i guess i should be careful what i wish for

Normally i would'nt complain but wife works 10 hrs a day 6 days a week with 2 kids to look after and we are smack in the middle of hauling about 1'000 ton of grain out . Sleeping 3-4 hrs a day aint cutting it right now :( I think the 3 year old should be ready to go in a 475 detroit with a 13 speed ...he's spent enough time in there this winter :)

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #117  
I thought I did but none show the beacons (it is not very conspicuous when not lit), I gotta take some next sortie. Don't expect anything like your vid though :D

Heck never mind your next sortie go out and snap a photo now. I do it all the time for the TBN members. All together now " We want beacon photos" :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 129
   / Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #118  
4shorts.... Its not a tractor, but here is a beacon VIDEO from 5 years ago - I have now since retired this truck from plowing and use a Suburban.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #119  
4shorts.... Its not a tractor, but here is a beacon VIDEO from 5 years ago - I have now since retired this truck from plowing and use a Suburban.

Cool. I used to really enjoy my old GMC plowing snow. Used it for 13 years along with the other machines you see photo's of. Although the tractor does it all now the speed and comfort of a plow truck is hard to beat. When things really started to build up then I'd go pick up the big Cat and take care of business :D

Attachments

• PLOW1.JPG
    PLOW1.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 107
  • TRUCK.JPG
    TRUCK.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 79
  • MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 89
  • snow 2.JPG
    snow 2.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 106
  • L1.JPG
    L1.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 100
  • L2.JPG
    L2.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 109
   / Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #120  
Well i thought of this thread today as i drove downt the state highway, with over 2 foot of snow, and them I saw the BERM, smash swoosh right throught it..no damage .. but guess who did it? One of our selectman.lol so ..interesting...