Proper snow plowing etiquette.........

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #121  
I was hoping to make some nice cash plowing 2-1/2 miles of association roads and assorted driveways this season myself...but have only had 3 snow days this season.

Are you serious? Thought your neck of the woods always had plenty snow. Here January was quiet (18 hours lol) but December... wow, got 142 hours, snow every other day like clockwork. Can't complain I charge on a contract basis not time.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #122  
When things really started to build up then I'd go pick up the big Cat and take care of business :D

Say... how tough is this thing on fuel? Thinkin' of getting an old loader myself. Price is quite low but diesel costs is sorta curbing my enthuz

And just for fun, what are those big-*** Michelins worth? :D

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #123  
Sorry to the professionals out there. Did not mean to insult. Strictly speaking as a homeowner. I may have mis-understood the context of the OP that it was commercial related.

Ed

I wasn't offended either, only pointing out the other side.

In the 32 hrs from breakfast Friday to dinner time Sat I spent 27 of them in the tractor. More coffee was drank than I care to admit to.....

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #124  
Are you serious? Thought your neck of the woods always had plenty snow. Here January was quiet (18 hours lol) but December... wow, got 142 hours, snow every other day like clockwork. Can't complain I charge on a contract basis not time.

Serious. We had a late start to the snow season, had 3-4 plowings, then nothing. I still have 12" of snow on the ground, and the roads are iced over, but no new snow for over 30 days.

very odd

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #125  
I live in rural West Virginia and when I clear the drive I usually clear both lanes and mailbox in front of my house for a distance of about 20 feet on both sides. My favorite thing is when the snow plow or road grader come through and seemingly plow the yard for a distance just so there is something to shove in the end of the driveway. I can't tell you how many times I have done my little practice, come home from work to find the road cleared, and I am now unable to pull into my driveway for the snow and ice shoved out of my yard and into the entrance. I just think it's crazy.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #126  
I live in rural West Virginia and when I clear the drive I usually clear both lanes and mailbox in front of my house for a distance of about 20 feet on both sides. My favorite thing is when the snow plow or road grader come through and seemingly plow the yard for a distance just so there is something to shove in the end of the driveway. I can't tell you how many times I have done my little practice, come home from work to find the road cleared, and I am now unable to pull into my driveway for the snow and ice shoved out of my yard and into the entrance. I just think it's crazy.
Perhaps put some T posts painted florescent orange in the yard so that they will be less likely to clear it?

Aaron Z

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #127  
You really think that the road plow is going to pull into your yard just to build up a ridge at the end of your drive??? I highly doubt it.

If you've already cleared your yard/drive there wouldn't be any snow for them to push up, even if they did pull into the yard. The snow ridge is coming from the road somewhere or from the snow bank itself. You'd be surprised how much snow can be moved if the plow moves over even 6" into the bank.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #128  
You really think that the road plow is going to pull into your yard just to build up a ridge at the end of your drive??? I highly doubt it.

If you've already cleared your yard/drive there wouldn't be any snow for them to push up, even if they did pull into the yard. The snow ridge is coming from the road somewhere or from the snow bank itself. You'd be surprised how much snow can be moved if the plow moves over even 6" into the bank.

Ditto

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #129  

Ditto

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #130  
Actually, I think it's an EPA regulation here in NH that says that if you move snow off your property, it instantly becomes a hazardous waste issue requiring a ton of paperwork to be able to dispose of it. So plowing across the road could get extremely expensive before you even consider Department of Transportation or Safety regulations. That's also one of the kickers that encouraged me to get my own tractor when the yahoos doing the plowing one year said they needed to bring in a bucket loader to clear the drive when they got their truck stuck and were going to have to charge me extra. I told them to stuff it and proceeded to shovel the quarter mile drive with my two teenage sons helping me. (Yeah, I am one stubborn, prideful SOB - and also in better shape than 95% of the guys my age.)

Been a lot of wet heavy snow this year. FEL has been a God-send. Actually bent the uprights on my Bobcat 3-point backblade pushing a bank back. Had to take them off, heat and untemper them, hammered them back into shape on the anvil, reheated and quench hardened them, repainted and reinstalled this past weekend. Come spring I'll probably pull them off and weld some angle iron to them to stiffen them up more.