Proper snow plowing etiquette.........

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #131  
IMO, your friend was just being picky.

Having the end of a drive plowed in by the street is just the nature of the beast if you manage to do your drive before the street is clear.

Now I dont know if things are different in developments, but along any street where the city, state, township, etc are responsible for plowing, they certainly arent going to angle the blade to avoid a drive. If they did, they would be pushing snow onto the other side of the road. And if there is a drive there??? They would end up with a big mound of snow in the middle of the road:confused2: And most state/city trucks dont have angling plows anyway. At least not hydraulically.

In Vermont, I deal with it all the time! I take care of my driveway, move my vehicles around (I have a 2 car garage but have 3 cars, a tractor, motorcycle and my antique car in it) I get done, clean off the tractor, salt the walkway from the house to the garage and hear it EVERYTIME...... The darn town truck. I swear he waits for me to get done. All the hard work is almost ruined. I move the cars around again, get the tractor out and clear the end of the driveway. I clean the tractor off, put the cars back, go in get my coffee and warm up a little.
I never get mad at the driver, in fact I always wave when I see them as to say thank you for staying up all night and cleaning the roads. I have even bought one guy a coffee when I saw him at the local Dunkin Donuts just for keeping the roads safe.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #132  
Re: Proper snow plowing etiquette

A lot of this is really just common sence.......which can be in short supply. In my area, SW Michigan, the county road commission allows snow to be pushed across the road and into the field. You cannot leave spilled snow on the roadway, though. We are in the country, on a paved road, and the road commission does a decent job, especially in these times of budget crunches and tight budgets. It behooves everyone to work together, and not make life tougher than it already is. If I push the snow across the road, before going back up the big hill, I take two more trips across the road, and scrape any residue that spilled out of my FEL bucket. My drive is long, curved and the hill is sizeable. Pushing snow up the hill is difficult once the bucket is full, so usually I go up the hill unloaded, turn around and push the snow down to the road. I can also stack the snow on my side of the road, and always bell mouth the access where the drive blends into the road. I like to plow the shoulder and push that snow back up onto my property. The county plow driver likes it, because he can stay away from the mail box and newspaper tubes. In the grass mowing times, I use a JD 235 garden tractor, and mow so that the cuttings go away from the road. I have fitted a rear view mirror so that I can watch for traffic, turn the mower blade clutch off until traffic clears, and then re-ingage the mower blades. It is a courtesy to the cars and trucks, and may save me having a rock thrown by my mower and damaging someones vehicle or even them. We are in dairy country, and one complaint that many have is that the huge farm tractors and their monster tankers are breaking up the pavement, knocking over mailbox'es, spilling liquid manure on the pavement, and then people drive into their garages and have the "dairy air" where it is not wanted. The farm tractors are not consuming fuel with road tax paid on it, not registered or licensed like a truck or car. I have a farming back ground, and retired from it, and understand that what I write here, may be challenged. Just as snow plowing, and mowing the property that abutts the road should be done courteously and safely, so should other operations involving roads, tractors and everything else. Working together does make the load lighter.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #133  
The darn town truck. I swear he waits for me to get done. All the hard work is almost ruined. I move the cars around again, get the tractor out and clear the end of the driveway. I clean the tractor off, put the cars back, go in get my coffee and warm up a little.
What if you push the snow back a couple of feet on the side of the driveway that the plow comes from for 6-10 feet?
We do that (on a road where state plows who go by at 35 and dont stop for anything) and it lets the blade dump snow before it gets to our driveway.

Aaron Z

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #134  
Speaking of mowing, when I was younger I was riding my motorcycle and some dick was mowing his lawn and a rock kicked up and hit me in the helmet. I was not hurt however I was livid. I stopped the bike and threw a rock at him and called him a few choice words. When I mow by the road I watch for cars and shut the PTO off when I see a vehicle coming.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #135  
What if you push the snow back a couple of feet on the side of the driveway that the plow comes from for 6-10 feet?
We do that (on a road where state plows who go by at 35 and dont stop for anything) and it lets the blade dump snow before it gets to our driveway.

Aaron Z
I usually do that, in VT we sometimes get snow that accumulates pretty quickly and when they plow it gets pushed in my driveway. It's not a huge deal, just frustrating.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #136  

Aaron Z
I usually do that, in VT we sometimes get snow that accumulates pretty quickly and when they plow it gets pushed in my driveway. It's not a huge deal, just frustrating.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #137  
It really depends on where you live. I would never leave snow in the road, but the association I live in likes it when I push snow across the street and push the banks back. It gives them more room to plow the snow. Funny thing to add is that I use this tractor more in the winter moving snow around then I do landscaping in the summer. Saves me a bunch of $ on plowing!