Proper snow plowing etiquette.........

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #11  
IMO, your friend was just being picky.

Having the end of a drive plowed in by the street is just the nature of the beast if you manage to do your drive before the street is clear.

Now I dont know if things are different in developments, but along any street where the city, state, township, etc are responsible for plowing, they certainly arent going to angle the blade to avoid a drive. If they did, they would be pushing snow onto the other side of the road. And if there is a drive there??? They would end up with a big mound of snow in the middle of the road:confused2: And most state/city trucks dont have angling plows anyway. At least not hydraulically.

I agree with what you said...he would definetly be picky if this was a municipality driver. However, he knew this man well - since he paid $300K to have his home built over a years period. And only having one single driveway along a half mile road and asking him to turn the plow is just the nice thing and right thing to do for your customer. My buddy would never had made it an issue if it was a a Town employee.

AND....I shared it because it was a funny story

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette.........
I agree with what you said...he would definetly be picky if this was a municipality driver. However, he knew this man well - since he paid $300K to have his home built over a years period. And only having one single driveway along a half mile road and asking him to turn the plow is just the nice thing and right thing to do for your customer. My buddy would never had made it an issue if it was a a Town employee.

AND....I shared it because it was a funny story

I understand now.

But all too often I hear people complain about the city/state doing that, and I cant help but think "what else are they supposed to do".

Your buddy's situation does seem a bit different. I'll give him that.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #13  
There's a solution to having your drive filled if you can clean the roadside ahead of your lane. Whenever I blow my lane I make sure I blow at least 10 ft of the snow bank away in the direction the plow will be coming from. This way the plow empties before it gets to the actual laneway plus visibility is better when I'm driving out. Plus I put my mailbox on the away side so that the truck won't be pushing snow so he can veer out a little without feeling like he's missing any snow.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #14  
How about the guys who fail to push the snowbanks back from the end of the driveway or parking lot. This makes it almost impossible to see oncoming cars when you are trying to pull out into traffic.
Yep. One of the good things about having a loader is that we can knock our banks back so that you can see out before you pull out.
There's a solution to having your drive filled if you can clean the roadside ahead of your lane. Whenever I blow my lane I make sure I blow at least 10 ft of the snow bank away in the direction the plow will be coming from. This way the plow empties before it gets to the actual laneway plus visibility is better when I'm driving out. Plus I put my mailbox on the away side so that the truck won't be pushing snow so he can veer out a little without feeling like he's missing any snow.
We do that as well. Makes it easier to keep the end of the driveway clear.

Aaron Z

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #15  

X2 Whenever I get around to my driveways it is still usually well before the plows come through, but I get my driveways, the ditches before and after them and try to blow from the middle of the road in. It is a low traveled country road so traffic isn't real bad. That way the plow can't push anything into my drive because there was nothing to push.

About 25 years ago I was at work and my wife blew out the driveway, or at least tried. She got the JD 140 (small 14HP) garden tractor stuck near the end of the drive next to a 3-4 foot drift. I was coming home and as I neared the drive about 300 yards away I saw her shoveling away and had a chuckle, but then a big county plow came through toward me on the driveway side. He just buried her tractor. About that time he saw me and he knew he knew I was going to pull in so he stopped. He asked if I had a chain and that he would pull the tractor out and of course I obliged. I think if he wouldn't have seen me he would have probably kept on going and i would have been shoveling for half a day to get it out.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #16  
I agree in a city or suburb, but we live on a rural road where the county plows a couple of days after the snow stops falling, so I do our driveway before the road is plowed. The road has a wide area across from each driveway, so plowing snow into a pile across from the driveway does not encroach on the road. I don't see anything wrong with that. The county plows with a road grader so they can move anything they want. What's the problem?

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #17  
Yup...cant agree more. Our association does not allow it...but people do it anyways. When im the one plowing the roads it really gets me mad. Especially after the berms have frozen to the surface.

The county plows with a road grader so they can move anything they want. What's the problem?

No problem at all IF you make sure ALL of the snow gets across the road. The complaint of this post is about those individuals who are careless enough or too ignorant and leave big trails of snow across the road from where it rolled off the sides of their bucket or blade. It makes speed-bumps for other drivers and is a hazard for sure.

Just take 2 extra minutes and clean up the mess you leave on the road. Thats all I ask.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #19  
Yeah, no big deal if they actually get all the snow across the road. I was driving down a back country road after a 10 in snow fall and some joker plowed across the road. Left the banks from the snow just sitting out there, almost 2 foot tall. Unfortunately, with it snowing and everything being white, I drove right through unknowingly and ripped the air dam right off my old 89 Chevy. Stopped to talk with the owner, but it was obvious she wasn't all there and anything I said wouldn't make a difference. On the positive side, I didn't have to worry about ripping the air dam off in the future anymore.

Yeah, no big deal if they actually get all the snow across the road. I was driving down a back country road after a 10 in snow fall and some joker plowed across the road. Left the banks from the snow just sitting out there, almost 2 foot tall. Unfortunately, with it snowing and everything being white, I drove right through unknowingly and ripped the air dam right off my old 89 Chevy. Stopped to talk with the owner, but it was obvious she wasn't all there and anything I said wouldn't make a difference. On the positive side, I didn't have to worry about ripping the air dam off in the future anymore.

Yea, and if you totaled the car, you wouldnt have to worry about totaling THAT car anymore either:laughing: