Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: Proper snow plowing etiquette.........

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    anyone else see those fools that only clear a 10" circular opening on windshield of ice/snow before setting out down the road. they REALLY piss me off.

geesh, i guess purchasing an ice scraper would cut into the booze and smokes budget too much
    Just saw one a few days ago...........a cleared spot on the windshield about the size of a dinner plate.............the rest of the car had at least 8 inches of snow on it
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    Mini rant....so be fore-warned

Proper transporting of the plow from one job to the next. ANGLE ALL THE WAY RIGHT. I hate having to pass an idiot when he has a 8'+ plow with wings and thinks its "cool" to run down the road with the blade straight....sticking out a good foot on each side of the vehicle. When you angle the plow, it occupies LESS space in the lane. I dont like the game of chicken. And I really dont want to find out the hard way who's plow is tougher.

Rant off
    I have of thought about this before. Would it be better to angle the plow to the left so if you did catch somthing it would push you away from on comming traffic.
    Bill

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.

I've always thought the same Bill.."Would it be better to angle the plow to the left so if you did catch somthing it would push you away from on comming traffic."

Guess person/persons on sidewalk plus fire hyd. were consider.

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

If you read the owners manuals or literature that comes with a plow, everything says angle right.

Not there are many reasons why....

But the gist of it is that it is proven to be the safest. Less likely to get sucked into a snowbank. And if you get into an accident with an oncoming car There is alittle cushioning effect as your hydraulic hoses blow, and your blade spins around to the left.

From Boss's Website
    When transporting a snowplow, angle the blade to the right (toward the curb). This will reduce the chance of catching a curb or a snowbank that could pull your vehicle into it.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked_on_HP View Post
    I have of thought about this before. Would it be better to angle the plow to the left so if you did catch somthing it would push you away from on comming traffic.
    Bill
    To further upon my last post, basically, there is not much to "catch" in the center of the road except other vehichles. And "most" plows when angled to the right are not any wider than that side of the truck. So if a car catches the plow, it would have caught the vehicle regardless.

And if wings are on the plow, angling to the left would cause the wing to stick out WIDER on that side than if angled to the right.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

On my fathers last truck he always drove with the plow straight across. He had to because when he left it angled, the air flow would miss the radiator and the truck would heat up. He didn't do it because he thought it looked cool. He's been plowing commercially for 40 years now and is over the whole "cool" factor.
    If you wanna get started on people who wanna look "cool" when plowing, lets talk about all the guys with the ridiculous flashing lights and strobes. Don't even get me started on those guys! It's one thing thing to have an orange beacon that is required, but its another when you have more strobe lights than a police car!
    Those are the guys you need to watch out for.
    -Matt
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    On my fathers last truck he always drove with the plow straight across. He had to because when he left it angled, the air flow would miss the radiator and the truck would heat up. He didn't do it because he thought it looked cool. He's been plowing commercially for 40 years now and is over the whole "cool" factor.
    If you wanna get started on people who wanna look "cool" when plowing, lets talk about all the guys with the ridiculous flashing lights and strobes. Don't even get me started on those guys! It's one thing thing to have an orange beacon that is required, but its another when you have more strobe lights than a police car!
    Those are the guys you need to watch out for.
    It depends on where you are plowing. If someone is plowing driveways and frequently backing into/across the road, I could see needing strobes in the taillights, etc (like 4shorts has on his plow/blower)

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

I need to think about bunches of strobes for mine, almost got nailed twice in 20 minutes this morning.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Bobcat S185 skid steer - Ferris IS500Z - JD GT235

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    I need to think about bunches of strobes for mine, almost got nailed twice in 20 minutes this morning.
    I put one of these Hella amber LED magnetic mount units on top of my Bobcat. Happy with it so far.
    However, I didn't pay the $217 price that link shows. Same vendor, paid $189.
    Last edited by JJZ 109; 01-05-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    Time loves to be wasted. From that waste their is no salvage - Henry Ford

Also - Erskine 73" blower /TSC QA boom pole/ Bradco 48" forks / Grapple bucket/ JLG T350 Boom Lift / 2001 Ford F450 w/Telsta A28D aerial lift / CAM Superline 6x12 dump / (2) Kristi 7x18 enclosed / 2014 Ford F250 Super Cab gasser

Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE hst cab

some people do go overboard. even the commercial plows here in N Idaho generally only have 1 - 2 flashing strobe lights. Its funny to see a small tractor with 30 flashing lights

I use the Kioti standard flashers and i added one strobe light to satisfy my insurance company. I only use them when off my property.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast