Proper snow plowing etiquette.........

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #31  
anyone else see those fools that only clear a 10" circular opening on windshield of ice/snow before setting out down the road. they REALLY piss me off.

geesh, i guess purchasing an ice scraper would cut into the booze and smokes budget too much:mad:
Just saw one a few days ago...........a cleared spot on the windshield about the size of a dinner plate.............the rest of the car had at least 8 inches of snow on it:laughing:

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #32  
Mini rant....so be fore-warned

Proper transporting of the plow from one job to the next. ANGLE ALL THE WAY RIGHT. I hate having to pass an idiot when he has a 8'+ plow with wings and thinks its "cool" to run down the road with the blade straight....sticking out a good foot on each side of the vehicle. When you angle the plow, it occupies LESS space in the lane.:thumbsup: I dont like the game of chicken. And I really dont want to find out the hard way who's plow is tougher.:mur:

Rant off

I have of thought about this before. Would it be better to angle the plow to the left so if you did catch somthing it would push you away from on comming traffic.
Bill

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #33  
I've always thought the same Bill.."Would it be better to angle the plow to the left so if you did catch somthing it would push you away from on comming traffic."

Guess person/persons on sidewalk plus fire hyd. were consider.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette.........
If you read the owners manuals or literature that comes with a plow, everything says angle right.

Not there are many reasons why....

But the gist of it is that it is proven to be the safest. Less likely to get sucked into a snowbank. And if you get into an accident with an oncoming car There is alittle cushioning effect as your hydraulic hoses blow, and your blade spins around to the left.

From Boss's Website
When transporting a snowplow, angle the blade to the right (toward the curb). This will reduce the chance of catching a curb or a snowbank that could pull your vehicle into it.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette.........
I have of thought about this before. Would it be better to angle the plow to the left so if you did catch somthing it would push you away from on comming traffic.
Bill

To further upon my last post, basically, there is not much to "catch" in the center of the road except other vehichles. And "most" plows when angled to the right are not any wider than that side of the truck. So if a car catches the plow, it would have caught the vehicle regardless.

And if wings are on the plow, angling to the left would cause the wing to stick out WIDER on that side than if angled to the right.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #36  
On my fathers last truck he always drove with the plow straight across. He had to because when he left it angled, the air flow would miss the radiator and the truck would heat up. He didn't do it because he thought it looked cool. He's been plowing commercially for 40 years now and is over the whole "cool" factor.
If you wanna get started on people who wanna look "cool" when plowing, lets talk about all the guys with the ridiculous flashing lights and strobes. Don't even get me started on those guys! It's one thing thing to have an orange beacon that is required, but its another when you have more strobe lights than a police car!
Those are the guys you need to watch out for.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #37  
On my fathers last truck he always drove with the plow straight across. He had to because when he left it angled, the air flow would miss the radiator and the truck would heat up. He didn't do it because he thought it looked cool. He's been plowing commercially for 40 years now and is over the whole "cool" factor.
If you wanna get started on people who wanna look "cool" when plowing, lets talk about all the guys with the ridiculous flashing lights and strobes. Don't even get me started on those guys! It's one thing thing to have an orange beacon that is required, but its another when you have more strobe lights than a police car!
Those are the guys you need to watch out for.
It depends on where you are plowing. If someone is plowing driveways and frequently backing into/across the road, I could see needing strobes in the taillights, etc (like 4shorts has on his plow/blower)

Aaron Z

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #38  
I need to think about bunches of strobes for mine, almost got nailed twice in 20 minutes this morning.

/ Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #39  
I need to think about bunches of strobes for mine, almost got nailed twice in 20 minutes this morning.

I put one of these Hella amber LED magnetic mount units on top of my Bobcat. Happy with it so far.
However, I didn't pay the $217 price that link shows. Same vendor, paid $189.

Last edited:
   / Proper snow plowing etiquette......... #40  
some people do go overboard. even the commercial plows here in N Idaho generally only have 1 - 2 flashing strobe lights. Its funny to see a small tractor with 30 flashing lights

I use the Kioti standard flashers and i added one strobe light to satisfy my insurance company. I only use them when off my property.