Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: Proper snow plowing etiquette.........

Quote Originally Posted by cqaigy2 View Post
    Eeek it's a UFO landing!!
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    The new LED light bars on the NY State Police vehicles are bright enough that if a trooper were to be standing next to the door directing traffic at night, they could not be seen as the lights will blind you.

Aaron Z
    The state police cars in Mass are just plain dangerous to motorists on the road behind them. They are so bright they can blind drivers as they approach the cruisers. It is no wonder cop cars get rear ended on high ways. People. Get "moth syndrome" I don't know who the brain surgeon was that decided lights that bright were needed or safe. But whoever it was needs a new profession.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3540 w/ LA514 FEL, 66" QA Bucket, 48" QA Forks, 7' RB, 18" Ripper, Ferris IS2000z ZTR

I was just thinking if there was anything to compare the unnecessarily bright flashers to that could land you with a ticket, then I realized that driving with your brights on can. If driving with your brights on is considered dangerous and causes people to squint or look away and therefore is the reason it is ticketable, I think the emergency flashers should fall under the same set of rules. Those with these lights, whether police or personal plow, should walk back a couple of hundred feet from their machine and see if it makes them squint or look away as they walk toward it. If so, this means that a driver is going to do the same thing as they pass you. I can't imagine anyone saying that they would feel safer with a driver looking away while they're driving past them. It would be nice if we could all just agree to use our emergency lights with the same courtesy we would our headlights, brights or lows. And by the way, our statey's here have just a single red gum drop up top, and these are more than evident.

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Agreed! You can see the red gum drop from far if you looking, but how many morons out there are busy doing something other than driving? There must be a balance in the middle between gum drop and UFO!
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by PhilY View Post
    And by the way, our statey's here have just a single red gum drop up top, and these are more than evident.
    IMO, the amount of light needed for a truck to be seen plowing down a lane on the highway in a predictable fashion is different from what is needed by a tractor working by the side of the road just past a blind hill cleaning out driveways...
    That said, there is a point of diminishing/negative returns and I think the local town has reached it. They have 6-8 of the "grommet mount" LED strobes (like this: GROTE Strobe, Yellow, Std Oval Mount Grommet, LED - Vehicle Strobes and Beacons - 2FDP7|77363 - Grainger Industrial Supply ) on the back of each dump truck plus a LED lightbar over the cab and (IMO) if you were prone to seizures from flashing lights, I am fairly certain that their lights would trigger an episode.

Edit: The state trucks around here have 2 rotator beacons (such as FEDERAL SIGNAL HALOGEN ROTATOR-AMBER - Vehicle Strobes and Beacons - 3TDH4|443112-02 - Grainger Industrial Supply ) on the top of the dump box and a pair of yellow LED lights (such as MAXXIMA Park/Turn Light, LED, Amber, Grommet, Oval - Vehicle Warning and Marker Lights - 3VNK5|AX60YCG-KIT - Grainger Industrial Supply ) on the back of the dump box setup to alternate (ie: wig-wag). In many cases they also have an arrow board (such as SSI Item ) on the back
    Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

I was pulled over one time because I had a headlight out. Usually I hate this and it truly had just gone out, but found it interesting that the police officer told me to drive with my brights on until I got the new bulb.

I am all for lights, and what I think a lot of people don't realize is that while you may need a lot of bright strobes to be seen during the day, at night it doesn't take nearly as many. Of course then you need flood lights.

wonder if those long light bars are something like this.?
    14" 72W Off Road LED Light Bar 4x4 Jeep Truck Tractor ATV UTV Spot Light 12V24V | eBay

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2600L

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtint View Post
    The state police cars in Mass are just plain dangerous to motorists on the road behind them. They are so bright they can blind drivers as they approach the cruisers. It is no wonder cop cars get rear ended on high ways. People. Get "moth syndrome" I don't know who the brain surgeon was that decided lights that bright were needed or safe. But whoever it was needs a new profession.
    Agree, this new trend of over indulging in strobing lights and their intensity drives me nuts. During the day the intensity is required to overcome the ambient light levels but at night these same levels are blinding, a scene with multiple emergency vehicles can be outright silly and easily increase risk of those driving and those at the scene. Imo, emergency vehicles require a day and night-time preset mode to adjust light output.

I can only assume manufacturers keeps loading up vehicles with more lights because the cool factor sells more vehicles.
    Nightime snowblowing in rain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp50hn8lHf8

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M59

LOL, a bunch of complaining in this thread.

Move out the country and snow on the road and berms 4'+ are common.

You guys have it easy complaining about snow bumps, and such simple things that simply EXIST up here and are taken as every day life.

How about 15 miles of un-plowed roads when there's a big storm and the plows are down in the city helping the city-folk with their 6" because they complain, and can't drive in snow

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2600L

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    LOL, a bunch of complaining in this thread.

Move out the country and snow on the road and berms 4'+ are common.

You guys have it easy complaining about snow bumps, and such simple things that simply EXIST up here and are taken as every day life.

How about 15 miles of un-plowed roads when there's a big storm and the plows are down in the city helping the city-folk with their 6" because they complain, and can't drive in snow
    Four foot berms in the middle of the road, well aren't you da man compared to all us snot nosed city folk. If you post was meant as a joke please ignore.
    Nightime snowblowing in rain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp50hn8lHf8

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast