Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Default Re: Proper snow plowing etiquette.........

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylegger View Post
    Four foot berms in the middle of the road, well aren't you da man compared to all us snot nosed city folk. If you post was meant as a joke please ignore.
    That was pretty ignorant...

Look up the Sierra-Nevada mountains...pretty dangerous place in the winter and I doubt he was joking...
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2600L

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    That was pretty ignorant...

Look up the Sierra-Nevada mountains...pretty dangerous place in the winter and I doubt he was joking...
    And you didn't think this wasn't ignorant?

"and the plows are down in the city helping the city-folk with their 6" because they complain, and can't drive in snow"

That's not why plows concentrate on clearing more populated areas first. His post was a humble brag and an attempt to trivialized the legimate concerns of many posters in this thread, I'd call that rude.
    Nightime snowblowing in rain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp50hn8lHf8

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

I imagine someone moving into the Sierras knows what they signed up for. Complaining about 4' snow drifts is like complaining about it being cold in the winter. Every one has a certain tolerance and comfort level where they drive every day. Something tells me the guy who is accustomed to the SN would have a nervous breakdown driving in Manhattan on a Friday afternoon at 5 pm.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M59

Wow, sorry, didn't expect to hurt anyone's feelings!

The post wasn't meant to offend, just some good`ol joking around since people are so riled-up about snow... and what you guys are complaining about dealing with is really no big deal in my opinion... thus the joking around
    (And for the record I didn't say 4' berms in the road, I was referring to our driveways after the plow comes through, but we have had 4' in the roads but not berms just lots of snow!)

And I wasn't bitching about the snow, berms, or snubbing my nose at anyone.

I guess this was somewhat the whole point of my post... people coming online to complain
    Another point I was trying to make was things can be a LOT worse than what some were complaining about, and I just don't understand the complaints when we all love to plow, play in the snow, and such... or at least most here come across as snow lovers rather than haters

I love the snow; it's relaxing, and gives me something to do while I think for a couple hours. Silence, and peaceful.

And yes... when there is snow down in the more populated areas they clear that first for safety due to numbers obviously.
    People in rural areas are normally a bit more used to be (and expected) to handle things on their own for a bit longer than the city.

Sorry I didn't mean to attack or offend anyone personally!!

Now i've talked in circles, and made sure I didn't offend anyone...

Carry on!

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    Wow, sorry, didn't expect to hurt anyone's feelings!

The post wasn't meant to offend, just some good`ol joking around since people are so riled-up about snow... and what you guys are complaining about dealing with is really no big deal in my opinion... thus the joking around
    You didn't offend me at all...I see the idiocy of some drivers during snowy conditions. And you're right..6" of snow creates total havoc in some areas...more urban and suburban then rural areas, BTW.
    Now, I'm sure I bother some drivers as I slow way down during inclement conditions...not so much for traction, but for the extended stopping distances.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M59

My wife totaled her car in <1/2" of a freak storm that dropped tiny ice pellets creating a 'black ice' situation, and thus leaving her with a concussion, and post concussion syndrome she now deals with still 1 year later. (turn, semi-elevated on the pressure side, yet she broke lose did a 360 and smashed into the mountain on the other side of the road, facing the opposite direction. When I arrived on scene (2 miles from our house) I couldn't figure out how it happened there was no ice on the road, no snow, and the car was damaged on 3 sides!!)

10 miles in summer that takes 15 minutes often takes 30+ in winter.

We routinely have 15+ cars on that 10 mile distance stuck, and stranded on the side of the road.

We've joked about putting a camera up on our property because often there's 3-5 cars in a 200ft area that get stranded too... it's a switch back with a bit off-camber that gets NASTY!

Drive slow.
    Drive safe!

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2600L

TWD, my apologies. Many of the recent posts were concerning the windrows of snow left in the road from homeowners plowing across it. It's annoying, illegal in most cities, and can be dangerous depending conditions. Regarding the snow left dumped at the end of the driveway, that's just the way it is, always been that way. When I use the plow instead of the blower (I clear two private roads with aprox 25 homes) I take the time to ensure I don't fill up the driveways and if I do I clear it for them. City trucks aren't quite so neighbourly though.
    Nightime snowblowing in rain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp50hn8lHf8

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M59

JayLegger - I guess we aren't used to "snow left on the road" because even after a county plow we are left with 1-4" of snow, ice, slush that often remains on the ground for weeks at a time. This year has been the worst with the REALLY cold December for us leaving ice/snow on the road for about 5 weeks!

Like you, myself and neighbors regularly plow the roads down to within 1" of asphalt... (really as close as we can get) the county repairs our roads yearly where the plows accidentally rip off the asphalt. My first year swapping from my ATV to tractor I almost tore the entire road up from my driveway across it due to a chunk the county plow had taken out :-X whoops! Repaired next year.

My driveway is pretty long, dirt/mud off-camber, and up hill... as soon as we can afford to pave it I want to get a blower for the front of my M59 Then I plan to plow around 100' of road in front of my house since we live on a turn with 4' dirt wall the plow has no choice but to block about 1/4 of the road with the built-up snow, and shove a lot up my driveway!

How is the blower vs the plow in regard to getting down to asphalt?

I had to stop using the ATV after 1 year since it wore out all 4 springs, CV belt, and on bad days the snow would just go over the top of the plow onto me, lol. I`ll try to find some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -house-jpg   -tracks-jpg  

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M59

The ATV pic shows what the road looks like before they plow. And the other one is my house before it was painted this summer That pic was last Feb.

Tractor
    John Deere 2032r

Quote Originally Posted by TWD View Post
    The ATV pic shows what the road looks like before they plow. And the other one is my house before it was painted this summer That pic was last Feb.
    You must really like the snow!

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast