Snow Equipment Buying/Pricing 8 foot fisher plow for 5045E

/ 8 foot fisher plow for 5045E #11  
Nice,very similar to what I have had for four years.You have enough tractor it's not going to push you around.
If you do shorten it will make it more maneuverable.

/ 8 foot fisher plow for 5045E
Nice,very similar to what I have had for four years.You have enough tractor it's not going to push you around.
If you do shorten it will make it more maneuverable.

Thanks for the response, it is nice to know that others are reading what you post. And yes I think the plow fits the tractor with the ballast and power it has. I wouldn't want to try to push that much iron with a smaller unit. I plowed yesterday without the back blade on the back and that seemed to work better then the other day when I had both on. Less front wheel spin, probably due to the weight of the loader arms acting on the front axle instead of being counter balanced by the weight on the rear hitch. I need a real eight inch or foot snow storm to really test it out and I need more practice at setting the plow down after picking it up and turning around to get it to cut right.

/ 8 foot fisher plow for 5045E #13  
I run with a seven ft.back blade all the time in the winter.Nice for pulling snow away from doors and it will scrape a paved drive right down to the asphalt.What is nice about this set-up is that the plow "floats" without the FEL being in float,keeps all the weight of the plow doing its work.

/ 8 foot fisher plow for 5045E #14  
Vt where are you located? I use Capitol for all my steel too.

As for the trip edge, if you do not bolt on a cutting edge you run the risk of wearing out that whole trip assembly, which is much pricier than a wear edge!
If you do want to build up the trip edge instead of bolting on a wear edge, talk to the guys at Capitol about the stuff they use on heavy equipment buckets. I forget what it is called, but the younger guy in the building with the office told me about it. SUPER durable (have to torch or plasma it, no blades) and pretty cheap at about 50 for 8ft of it.

I'm up on Chelsea west hill. As I'm not plowing on pavement I think there is enough wear left on what is on the trip edge for this winter then I'll put a carbide cutting edge on for next year. What shape does that hard-face wear material you are talking about come in?

/ 8 foot fisher plow for 5045E #16  
I'm up on Chelsea west hill. As I'm not plowing on pavement I think there is enough wear left on what is on the trip edge for this winter then I'll put a carbide cutting edge on for next year. What shape does that hard-face wear material you are talking about come in?

I teach with 3 guys from Chelsea, Im out in West Topsham.

As for the edge, it is about 3/4-1" in width, it's only made to be welded onto a cutting edge, not as an entire edge. If you can still bolt the wear edge on, I would absolutely go that route. I got a 7'6" edge for my Fisher this Summer for about 120 bucks, that trip edge assembly is goign to be WAAAY more than that should you wear that down! you can also cut into the spring trip assembly itself, jsut better to put an edge on now and add the weld on hard face edge in the future....probably the very FAAR future too, those edges last!

By the looks of mine a 3/4" piece of that has already been welded into the edge of my trip edge. Is Charle Hall still selling plastic barrels up in Topsham?

/ 8 foot fisher plow for 5045E #18  
By the looks of mine a 3/4" piece of that has already been welded into the edge of my trip edge. Is Charle Hall still selling plastic barrels up in Topsham?

You mean The Barrel Man!?..heck yeah, that is where I got my burn barrel, trash and recycle barrel, barrel for my grill, 3pt hitch counter weight barrel.......:laughing:

I went with him to the Dakotas and eastern Montana in 1975 to take down Jacobs electric windmills and their towers to bring them back to Vermont So Virgil (He hates that name) could sell them to off grid Hippies.

/ 8 foot fisher plow for 5045E #20  
I am a bit late to the thread, but I do have one thing to add.

Before I do though, Nice work. And nice find.

Now what to add,

You really need to look at putting in a crossover relief valve between the two cylinders. If you havent already. With your current set-up, If you hit something with the leading edge, that fluid has NO where to go as your remote valve isolates that side of the circuit. It dont take much force at all, and you will pop a line or cylinder. ESPECIALLY with a plow that wide (with wings) and a tractor that big.

When that plow was mounted on the truck, there was a relief incorporated in with the pump. You have taken toat out of the equation. You need a valve that will dump fluid from one side of the plow to the other in the even you "over-pressurize" one side by hitting or pushing on something too hard.