Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

Default Re: South West Virginia Snow

Well that was fun. The new JD CUT did better in the snow than my old JD monster with 2WD, but it clearly has its limits. I can see a set of tractor chains before next winter. I did plow the road out and back, but only took about 8 to 10 inches off the top. More than that on the hills would have the tractor's rear slipping sideways. Bucket was no good on hills, it just pushed up too much. However, I cut enough off so I could get the 4WD F-150 out if I had to, so it's all good. It was snowing so hard most of the time that I had to look down to steer. And the tractor sound kept knocking snow off the tree branches so I was completely wet in the first 20 minutes. It's right at freezing, so I was pretty cold.
    Now sitting with a hot cuppa coffee and dry clothes at home. Still snowing, but slower.-snow2013-jpg

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

Plowed 12 to 18 in this morning and it was all the little massey would do. I need a set of chains before next year too

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

We got about 10" here in Raphine. I finally got to use the snowblower that I bought two years ago. The home made cab came in handy as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -snow-3-6-13-009-a  

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

What snow we had didn't amount to anything, then the rain melted most of it.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

Quote Originally Posted by raydw View Post
    We got about 10" here in Raphine. I finally got to use the snowblower that I bought two years ago. The home made cab came in handy as well.
    I like the snowblower, although I'd worry about picking up the gravel in my drive. You have any trouble with that over gravel? I am blind in an eye and trying to back up my drive to blow snow would kill me - and my neck. But the front mount models are horribly expensive.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Quote Originally Posted by DKCDKC View Post
    I like the snowblower, although I'd worry about picking up the gravel in my drive. You have any trouble with that over gravel? I am blind in an eye and trying to back up my drive to blow snow would kill me - and my neck. But the front mount models are horribly expensive.

My drive is also gravel, but is crusher run, which I try to keep graded & compacted. I bought the blower "used" and made new skids for it. The old ones were probably 3/4 to 1" wide, so I fabricated some about three inches wide and set the bottom of the blower about an inch and a half off the ground. After using it today, I was happy to find that I had no problems with the gravel. I'm sure it would have been better if the ground were frozen. I also cleared two of my neighbors drives with minimal ground disturbance. The height of the blower tended to leave more snow on the drive than when I use my front blade, but thats better than having to rake the gravel out of the lawn in the spring.
    As you mention, the front mount models are more money than I can justify for one big snow storm every four or five years, so this was a compromise. My neck & back feel fine now, but I may not feel that way tomarrow. I need to figure out a way to mount a camera on the back, so I don't have to keep twisting side to side.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

We got about a foot I guess. I was hoping for more.

Tractor
    2010 Kioti ck30 gear

Quote Originally Posted by raydw View Post
    Nice cab
    I did build mine too, lots of fun in the process.

Tractor
    John Deere 4110

Quote Originally Posted by Kiotikarl View Post
    Nice cab
    I did build mine too, lots of fun in the process.
    Kiotikarl, Thank you for the compliment. Its not as fancy as many that I've seen on TBN, but it was fun to build and serves its purpose well. That looks like a very nice job on your cab.

Tractor
    Kubota L 5240 John Deere 550 Gator Toro 60 in zero turn Toro 44 in walk behind

Snow in the forecast again after 75 degrees plus yesterday. Tractor is in shop this could be bad! Then more snow on the way by next weekend the winter that won't end

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast