Chain selection and plow chosen for my tractor

/ Chain selection and plow chosen for my tractor #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
I've checked all over the place for chains for my tractor and finally found what I am told will work best for my use.
I'm going to get Aquiline mpc chains* for just my rear tires for now. They allow for minimum clearance issues for my fenders, and R-4 Titan Heavy Duty Industrial Tractor Lug tires sized at 14.9 x 24
I am coupling that with a HLA brand, lateral float, with crossover valve, 2000 Series 7' all steel plow, made in Canada. I considered a Sno-way plow with vertical float, crossover valve, and plastic moldboard; which is also a good choice for my tractor, but I want as little stress on my loader assembly as possible. Lateral float seems from an engineering standpoint to best accomplish this task. There is another forum on snow equipment use, (this post was originally posted on another TBN forum), and it has tons of useful information and detailed videos by guys like 4shorts. I learned today from one of his recent videos that to keep from slipping on the front tires he drops his plow on the ground and then raises it slightly to keep the weight on the front tires, INSTEAD of on the loader. Seems like a no-brainer, but it makes perfect sense, especially coming from a former heavy equipment operator, and experienced snow tractor specific professional user.
Here are links to the chain type I was referring to: http://www.aquilinetirechains.com
And to the HLA Plow: http://www.hlasnow.com
Note: *the chains are somewhat pricier than basic chains, but like most things if you want a specialized application to suit one's needs then one may have to pay more.

/ Chain selection and plow chosen for my tractor #2  
Hi, i think the Chains will do the job fine ,but you would get the same bang for alot less bucks using the duo grip chain from tire chains .com. I looked at using a plow on my loader arms but I was always afraid of hitting something and bending the arms. I setteled on 7 ft back blade which covers my tire footprint set at an angle. And the loader bucket comes in handy for the piles

/ Chain selection and plow chosen for my tractor #3  
I learned today from one of his recent videos that to keep from slipping on the front tires he drops his plow on the ground and then raises it slightly to keep the weight on the front tires, INSTEAD of on the loader. .
I'm not following you here. How does raising it up slightly not load the loader arms? It will push down on the front tires for sure but the attachment is through the loader arms so any weight that is transmitted to the front tires has to go through the loader.
The MPCs will work but not as good as my talons. :) Can't you set your tread out and get some more clearance? Tires loaded with rim-guard right?

/ Chain selection and plow chosen for my tractor #4  
Looks like they make some nice plows. Id hate to guess what the 4000 series cost. Where are you ordering the chains from?

Dave

/ Chain selection and plow chosen for my tractor #5  
What does "lateral float" mean? One side can float up without the other floating?

/ Chain selection and plow chosen for my tractor
I'm not following you here. How does raising it up slightly not load the loader arms? It will push down on the front tires for sure but the attachment is through the loader arms so any weight that is transmitted to the front tires has to go through the loader.
The MPCs will work but not as good as my talons. :) Can't you set your tread out and get some more clearance? Tires loaded with rim-guard right?

Raising the loader, and hence the plow, off the surface,(ground/grade/snow) puts the weight on the front tires and allows them to have better traction than just placing the plow on the surface which reduces traction at the front tires. The concept is to PUSH snow, not to scrape down to dirt/asphalt, etc. In order to push snow one does not need to have the snowblade edge scrape clean the surface- it just needs to skim it.
Talons, sure- for what money?
Tires loaded, yes.

Looks like they make some nice plows. Id hate to guess what the 4000 series cost. Where are you ordering the chains from?

Dave

I can tell you my 2000 series 84" blade cost $3,300 PLUS tax. They're used a lot by skidsteers for moving silage.
Ordering chains from my dealer who sold me the plow today. Champlain Valley Equipment in Middlebury, VT
They set me up with six foot hoses and end fittings, no extra charge.

What does "lateral float" mean? One side can float up without the other floating?

Lateral float feature is why I bought this particular plow. It allows side to side, pivoting with one 2.5" x 8" throw centrally located hydraulic piston; which coupled with a crossover valve, supplied on the plow, dampens shock to the loader arms, keeping them from becoming 'racked' to the left or right when heavy wet, frozen snow, or obstacles are encountered, which might otherwise transfer the resistances to the loader arms, or frame and thus damage it. Essentially the plow has a center pin which allows the blade/moldboard to swing left or right as needed to dampen shock in addition to trip springs, etc.
These guys make snowplow blades up to 14' in length with articulating side wings that can add 6 additional feet of total plow length! AND the wings can be folded back while moving to allow for creating a box blade from the plow blade, or a back drag blade all from one blade! Check out their site and videos. It'll blow your mind what they can do, I know it did mine.:eek:

Hi, i think the Chains will do the job fine ,but you would get the same bang for alot less bucks using the duo grip chain from tire chains .com. I looked at using a plow on my loader arms but I was always afraid of hitting something and bending the arms. I setteled on 7 ft back blade which covers my tire footprint set at an angle. And the loader bucket comes in handy for the piles

Actually, no I can't get the same bang for the buck, or for less bucks either, (but thanks for the thoughts), from tirechains.com they don't sell the Aquiline mpc chains, and the duo-grips are not suited to my low clearance fenders. I checked this all out thoroughly before making any buying choices.
The HLA 7'lateral float blade addresses exactly what you refer to as your fear of bending the loader. The float design eliminates this issue, and allows one to use a loader mounted plow instead of a back blade. Personally, I would never want to do anything, especially plow snow, backwards. I couldn't take the stress on my neck and back.

/ Chain selection and plow chosen for my tractor #10  
I took a look at the HLA website. Their stuff looks good. I have been thinking about a loader mounted plow, and there are some decent ones out there, but these HLA products look really good. I think I'll contact them to see who sells them in my region, if anyone does, and scope out pricing Right now my biggest problem isn't what plow to get, its the fact that I just don't need it. Colorado is in a bad drought. There is a storm coming in over the weekend, but right now the models are showing LESS THAN 1 INCH for our place. Depressing!