Anybody use a UTV snowblower?

/ Anybody use a UTV snowblower? #1  

backintheday

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3510H
Im trying to figure out my snow removal setup. Im leaning towards a blower on my RZR since they're cheaper (can find them used) and I have a cab. That way I can still use my fel for cleaning stalls or whatever instead of mounting a front blower. Or get a quick attach plow and a rear blower. I already have back and neck injuries so im trying to avoid the rear blower unless I get a rear camera. I maintain a 3rd of a mile road, my drive and a couple neighbors, we get some serious winds so drifting is a problem. Im at 7200' so my 35hp tractor is more like 22hp.
Thanks for endless info from the members, ive learned much!!

/ Anybody use a UTV snowblower? #2  
Im trying to figure out my snow removal setup. Im leaning towards a blower on my RZR since they're cheaper (can find them used) and I have a cab. That way I can still use my fel for cleaning stalls or whatever instead of mounting a front blower. Or get a quick attach plow and a rear blower. I already have back and neck injuries so im trying to avoid the rear blower unless I get a rear camera. I maintain a 3rd of a mile road, my drive and a couple neighbors, we get some serious winds so drifting is a problem. Im at 7200' so my 35hp tractor is more like 22hp.
Thanks for endless info from the members, ive learned much!!

If you have hydro transmission you can simply sit a bit sideways and use truck mirror
outside the cab and a camera inside looking out with the monitor mounted to the side
on the cab wall.

For your rtv you would probably need chains and ballast in the tires to use a snow blower.
You would need Bercomac motorised snow blower for your rtv which uses gas engine,
converting the engine to use propane and gas would save you a lot of grief and the power
loss should be minimal with a carburater jet change for high altitude use.

I love my rear camera on my truck and 4 shorts love his camera on his kubota.

Last edited:
   / Anybody use a UTV snowblower? #3  
Quick-Attach.com makes a hydraulic blower for UTV's. This is probably the nicest UTV blower out there, but for about the same money, you could get a 3-pt blower and a front blade for your tractor. If you get much wind, the UTV might be too light to cut into drifts, the blower (and entire UTV) may just ride up on the drifts. Wind-packed snow can support an amazing amount of weight.

UTV Snowblower : Quick Attach Attachments, Inc.

/ Anybody use a UTV snowblower? #4  
Quick-Attach.com makes a hydraulic blower for UTV's. This is probably the nicest UTV blower out there, but for about the same money, you could get a 3-pt blower and a front blade for your tractor. If you get much wind, the UTV might be too light to cut into drifts, the blower (and entire UTV) may just ride up on the drifts. Wind-packed snow can support an amazing amount of weight.

UTV Snowblower : Quick Attach Attachments, Inc.

This snow caster suffers from the same issues every other open cross auger design does,
as it feeds the snow too fast into the impeller and floods it where it should be metered
into the impeller using a solid cross auger with narrow flighting which permits it to
operate without plugging and adding stress to the impeller.

If these units has a rotating impeller drum they would be even more efficient as the
chute and spout can reduce the snow casters efficiency from plugging as well due to
friction.

/ Anybody use a UTV snowblower?
FatTire makes a good point about the wind packed snow, I guess I need to hear from more people who have used them before to see how they perform. But, wouldn't a 3 point SB ride on top of the wind packed stuff too?
Also, I don't have a cab on my tractor so I don't have anywhere to mount a monitor for the camera unless they are weather proof.

Thanks for the help guys.

/ Anybody use a UTV snowblower? #6  
I thought the blower that FatTire linked to did a pretty good job for what it is. That wasn't the 'light fluffy' snow he was blowing there, that was actually a harder packed-wetter snow.

/ Anybody use a UTV snowblower? #7  
FatTire makes a good point about the wind packed snow, I guess I need to hear from more people who have used them before to see how they perform. But, wouldn't a 3 point SB ride on top of the wind packed stuff too?
Also, I don't have a cab on my tractor so I don't have anywhere to mount a monitor for the camera unless they are weather proof.

I just order a camera for using the rear blower on my open station John Deere. Cab cam makes a weather proof unit for open station tractors, it is slightly pricier than the normal unit, $50ish. I can't wait to get it in, and see how it works.

I really love the 3pt blower, it does such a great job of the driveway. The only trouble is looking behind. Maybe a drive forward 3pt blower would work for you. Some people on here really like them. I wish I would have known about the drive forward 3pt blowers before I bought mine.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Anybody use a UTV snowblower? #8  

Yes, a 3-pt blower can still ride up on the snow. In high wind areas, this is an issue for just about anything other than a big snow cutter (google "Schmidt VF3" for example). But, I'm guessing the back of your tractor weighs more than the front of your RZR, especially if your rear tires are filled. Additionally, you can break up a drift with your FEL, turn around, and blow it. I think it may be more cost effective and perhaps more convenient doing that with just the tractor than switching back and forth between rigs.

/ Anybody use a UTV snowblower? #9  
I guess it depends where / how you'd use it.

Up here I wouldn't want a RZR as the turning radius sucks compared to an ATV w/plow, and even a tractor w/plow/fel(bucket) turns better than my RZR did let alone a rzr + plow or blower.

I wore out springs, belts, and popped some CV boots when I was plowing with my ATV. It was just way too much wear and tear to be worth it for any amount of clearing. The ATV and RZR are also a workout pushing snow unless you go with power steering :)