Snow Equipment Owning/Operating MK Martin Snowblower not shooting far??

/ MK Martin Snowblower not shooting far?? #1  

massey184ferguson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 184-4
I have a MK Martin 7' blower and I find it does not blow very far (5 of 6 feet), even with dry snow. How many RPMs should I be running at? If anyone has a blower similar, what hole do you put the chute adjustor at? What usually causes a blower to no shoot snow far? Are these supposed to be a good blower?
Thanks

blower.jpg

/ MK Martin Snowblower not shooting far?? #2  
I have an MK Martin 75" pull-type which looks to be the similar to yours, only reversed for pull-type. I normally run it at the rated 540 RPM. It throws the snow a good 30' to 40' in virtually all snow conditions, even very wet, cement-like snow. My tractor is a DK35HST with about 28 PTO hp. I usually have the chute set one hole shorter than the straightest setting.

My 4-blade fan is 23" diam x 8" deep. It looks like your 87" blower fan would have a 27" x 10" deep.

I think it is best to keep the RPM's at rated PTO speed.

Here are some photos of mine in a fairly light, dry snow--but it works as well in wet snow:

r20111228_SnowBlower_2.jpgr20111228_SnowBlower_3.jpgr20111228_SnowBlower_4.jpg

EDIT: Here are a couple more from this year in wetter snow:

IMG_1586.JPGIMG_1603.JPG

/ MK Martin Snowblower not shooting far??
I'll have to watch the RPMs more closely and adjust the chute... I'll try that Thanks

/ MK Martin Snowblower not shooting far?? #4  
Keep it up at the rated 540rpm and make sure there is not any rust in the chute and the impeller clearance is no more them 1/4" to 3/8".

On my Meteor snow blower there is a 3/4"-7/8" gap around the impeller. When I get time I plan on bolting on old heavy belting to compensate for the clearance and act as a sacrificial wear piece.

/ MK Martin Snowblower not shooting far?? #5  
Keep it up at the rated 540rpm and make sure there is not any rust in the chute and the impeller clearance is no more them 1/4" to 3/8".

On my Meteor snow blower there is a 3/4"-7/8" gap around the impeller. When I get time I plan on bolting on old heavy belting to compensate for the clearance and act as a sacrificial wear piece.

I need to do the same thing. Gravel tends to do that.
Rather than belting I plan to use about 1/4" poly sheeting as it is more 'non stick' and slippery. (think kid's plastic sleds)

/ MK Martin Snowblower not shooting far?? #6  
I did same with my old (1986) Allied/Farm King snow blower. In my case I used 1/4" mild steel flat bar and set the clearance to clear the housing surface by about 0.030". It works fine and has inproved my throwing distance considerably. I use both the 540 and 720 speeds I have on my tractor depending on the snow and weather conditions. Either way, the snow gets thrown away from the driveway.
To OP - if your clearances are good then you need to increase the PTO speed accordingly.

Attachments

• Snow Blower - 2.jpg
    Snow Blower - 2.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 525
   / MK Martin Snowblower not shooting far?? #7  
My front mount throws the snow about 10-12' away with the chute in the second hole from the top. I run my RPM according to the tach at 2500. I have a MK Martin Meteor, too. Mine is a 63" I think.

/ MK Martin Snowblower not shooting far?? #8  
If I remember correctly my dealer did install a larger triangular plate of metal in front of the fan. You can see the shinny new bolt on the pic. It's not bigger by much but it does help. It doesnot throw snow very far indeed but when it's only 10 feet away I can pick it up again and re-blow it again and the tractor doesnt mind it's very powerfull (51 inches). So far it's working flawless. The front chain does also help a lot for steering.
Phil

Attachments

• souffleur martin action.jpg
    souffleur martin action.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 523
   / MK Martin Snowblower not shooting far?? #9  
I did same with my old (1986) Allied/Farm King snow blower. In my case I used 1/4" mild steel flat bar and set the clearance to clear the housing surface by about 0.030". It works fine and has inproved my throwing distance considerably. I use both the 540 and 720 speeds I have on my tractor depending on the snow and weather conditions. Either way, the snow gets thrown away from the driveway.
To OP - if your clearances are good then you need to increase the PTO speed accordingly.

great modification, I will do it for next year!
Phil

/ MK Martin Snowblower not shooting far?? #10  
phil was that pic taken while the blower was running?