Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2600L

Default Re: Snowblower for Snow Removal Question

Quote Originally Posted by massey184ferguson View Post
    What is the best thing to do with the snow that the blower leaves in front of my neighbors (and other clients) garage door? It takes alot of time to get out at every driveway and shovel the snow away... what is the best thing to do?
    I'll typically blow to about 5 feet of the door(s) to leave the pile out from the doors then when the driveway is completed I'll go back and remove this last few feet by driving/blowing parallel to the doors. It's easy to get within an inch or two of the door this way and all snow is removed.
    Nightime snowblowing in rain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp50hn8lHf8

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '09 JD 5105M Cab & '05 JD 4720 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylegger View Post
    It's easy to get within an inch or two of the door this way and all snow is removed.
    Depends on tractor size, an inch or two is way too close for comfort for me. My front pushers are too bulky for me to see with that level of precision and I don't trust my sway chains not to let anything wander beyond that. My residential contracts simply state that snow will be removed up to "as close as safely possible" from buildings and other structures, landmarks and landscape features.
    JD 5105M & JD 4720 Cabbies w. Shoule reversible snow blade/Shoule rear snowblower; Pronovost blower; backhoe and some attachments I have no idea what they are for.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3300SU

Quote Originally Posted by kco View Post
    MK Martin makes an electrically-operated blade for their pull-type blowers as shown here (under the options tab):

MK Martin | Pull Type Snowblowers

Perhaps a similar setup could be made for a front mount blower.
    I've seen hydraulic back blades but never electric. I don't see the point of either on a pull type. Use some heavy chain to set the back blade a few inches below the main cutting edge and you are good to go. Never forget to raise or lower it.

As for something similar for a front mount, see post #4:

Quote Originally Posted by rbargeron View Post
    I had the same question back in 2007 - it led to this snow blower back blade project. Although it does a decent job, I use my front-mount blower mostly now and clean up by turning sharp and sweeping it sideways. If you plan your moves there aren't that many places where you have to leave a lot. My customers don't mind detailing it with a shovel - especially considering my rates.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

We were discussing private snow contracts last Friday.
    Folks pay approx $250. per drive around here and expect you to come back if the city does a second plowing or push back the banks.
    Then they have their roofs shoveled and naturally the shoveler dumps the snow in front of the garage door. Owner then complains that he can't get into his garage!
    To add insult the owner leaves his 2 garbage bins dead center in the driveway entrance and expects you to move them plus put them back.
    When I contracted I stated that I drive, plow but don't get off the tractor nor do I sand.
    If you include sand, there is never enough sand to satisfy the client except come spring there is always too much.
    Most guys around here put in the contract that they are not responsible for objects that are hidden in the snow otherwise the find themselves replacing shrubs, flowers and curbs come spring.
    Just last week an owner called a friend complaining that his garage was blocked: he had his roof cleaned (at $400.) and bitched to the contractor that his contract ($250) was to keep the drive cleared.
    And you never can forecast how often the city trucks will push slush back.
    No thanks, no more snow removal contracts for me!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '09 JD 5105M Cab & '05 JD 4720 Cab

Quote Originally Posted by PILOON View Post
    We were discussing private snow contracts last Friday.
    Folks pay approx $250. per drive around here and expect you to come back if the city does a second plowing or push back the banks.
    Then they have their roofs shoveled and naturally the shoveler dumps the snow in front of the garage door. Owner then complains that he can't get into his garage!
    To add insult the owner leaves his 2 garbage bins dead center in the driveway entrance and expects you to move them plus put them back.
    When I contracted I stated that I drive, plow but don't get off the tractor nor do I sand.
    If you include sand, there is never enough sand to satisfy the client except come spring there is always too much.
    Most guys around here put in the contract that they are not responsible for objects that are hidden in the snow otherwise the find themselves replacing shrubs, flowers and curbs come spring.
    Just last week an owner called a friend complaining that his garage was blocked: he had his roof cleaned (at $400.) and bitched to the contractor that his contract ($250) was to keep the drive cleared.
    And you never can forecast how often the city trucks will push slush back.
    No thanks, no more snow removal contracts for me!
    The trick is to write clear contract terms. With regards to objects buried in snow: in late Fall I stick stakes in the ground to outline the "work zone" and the contract stipulates that anything hidden under snow within the zone that is damaged is not my responsibility. This saves me from buying several destroyed bicycles and ruined toys every year although I bought a kid a new bike once because his father would not replace it. Let's just say the father and I have differing views on child rearing.

As for picking up snow dumped from rooftops the contract is very clear: I only clear snow that results from precipitation or drift. Sure I will pick up snow cleared from a rooftop but for a fee: usually $80 if I can blow the snow on the property (a 5-minute job in most cases) or $200 per truckload if it has to be hauled away. I have to pay the trucker $80 per load and I use my own tractors to load the truck so the profit is not huge. Truck is a standard 10-wheeler dumper. People are always amazed how much snow their roof can hold.
    JD 5105M & JD 4720 Cabbies w. Shoule reversible snow blade/Shoule rear snowblower; Pronovost blower; backhoe and some attachments I have no idea what they are for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12