Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620

Default Re: Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch

There's another thread where someone is complaining about someone pushing snow across the road, and how horrible it is... I wonder if these are related?

Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

One issue I have seen with pushing snow across the road is blocking the drainage ditch in spring. The incident I saw cause some serious erosion.
    At my last place there was a municipal bylaw that you had to store plowed snow on your own property. Around here I have found no such law.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720

Sounds like the guy who lives across the street from me. For 15 years, when we had those big snows where you would run out of places to pile it I used to push snow across our rural lane and into an empty field (owned by said neighbor). Then, one year out of nowhere he goes nuts and puts up a litle sign "No snow this side - call police" - or something equally juvenile. It's fine by me. I **used** to even clean him out when the snow was really heavy. I sure hope his little 5HP blower never takes a dump as my blade or blower no longer crosses the lane for "nut'n".

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035, JD 2240, 420

I have seen people push snow across roads and eventually destroy fences on the other side of the road. I have also seen folks push snow across the road upstream of their neighbors drive so the county pushes that snow down the road and fills the across the road neighbors drive. My thought is, if it is your snow, deal with it on your own property.... same with leaves, brush, etc. ' Don't dump on thy neighbor ', the 11th commandment...... [ ]

Tractor
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    One issue I have seen with pushing snow across the road is blocking the drainage ditch in spring. The incident I saw cause some serious erosion.
    At my last place there was a municipal bylaw that you had to store plowed snow on your own property. Around here I have found no such law.
    **** snowmobiles and trail groomers pack snow in ditches and we have to dig it out before spring thaw as it blocks water flow in spring and causes flooding as water cant run off fast enough . Piled snow is the same ..it takes longer to thaw .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0366-jpg  

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L285

No snow here in northern florida, But, you must have a ROW use permit to work in the county right of way. I know many people think that they own to the edge of the road but generally speaking its just not the case. You very well might be responsable in what you are doing, but realize of 10 people, I would guess at least 5 would gouge the road, or strip the sod/grass on the shoulder/swale. Not saying legal vs illegal but there are reasons to not let the general public just do what ever inside the ROW.

Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

Quote Originally Posted by D7E View Post
    **** snowmobiles and trail groomers pack snow in ditches and we have to dig it out before spring thaw as it blocks water flow in spring and causes flooding as water cant run off fast enough . Piled snow is the same ..it takes longer to thaw .
    Interesting, the last club I was in up in Ottawa, dropped culverts in the ditch if required and groomed over them. In spring they retrieved the pipes.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere UTV w/plow

Smile at your neighbor, thank him for informing you, and then put the snow across the road like you always have.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by paulharvey View Post
    No snow here in northern florida, But, you must have a ROW use permit to work in the county right of way. I know many people think that they own to the edge of the road but generally speaking its just not the case. You very well might be responsable in what you are doing, but realize of 10 people, I would guess at least 5 would gouge the road, or strip the sod/grass on the shoulder/swale. Not saying legal vs illegal but there are reasons to not let the general public just do what ever inside the ROW.
    Actually, you generally own to the center of the road. Thats why its called the Right Of Way because the municipality owns a Right Of Way which entitles them to use your property.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by paulharvey View Post
    Actually, you generally own to the center of the road. Thats why its called the Right Of Way because the municipality owns a Right Of Way which entitles them to use your property.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast