Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #11  
There's another thread where someone is complaining about someone pushing snow across the road, and how horrible it is... I wonder if these are related?

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #12  
One issue I have seen with pushing snow across the road is blocking the drainage ditch in spring. The incident I saw cause some serious erosion.
At my last place there was a municipal bylaw that you had to store plowed snow on your own property. Around here I have found no such law.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #13  
Sounds like the guy who lives across the street from me. For 15 years, when we had those big snows where you would run out of places to pile it I used to push snow across our rural lane and into an empty field (owned by said neighbor). Then, one year out of nowhere he goes nuts and puts up a litle sign "No snow this side - call police" - or something equally juvenile. It's fine by me. I **used** to even clean him out when the snow was really heavy. I sure hope his little 5HP blower never takes a dump as my blade or blower no longer crosses the lane for "nut'n". :thumbdown:

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #14  
I have seen people push snow across roads and eventually destroy fences on the other side of the road. I have also seen folks push snow across the road upstream of their neighbors drive so the county pushes that snow down the road and fills the across the road neighbors drive. My thought is, if it is your snow, deal with it on your own property.... same with leaves, brush, etc. ' Don't dump on thy neighbor ', the 11th commandment...... [ :) ]

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #15  
One issue I have seen with pushing snow across the road is blocking the drainage ditch in spring. The incident I saw cause some serious erosion.
At my last place there was a municipal bylaw that you had to store plowed snow on your own property. Around here I have found no such law.

**** snowmobiles and trail groomers pack snow in ditches and we have to dig it out before spring thaw as it blocks water flow in spring and causes flooding as water cant run off fast enough . Piled snow is the same ..it takes longer to thaw .

Attachments

• IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 298
   / Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #16  
No snow here in northern florida, But, you must have a ROW use permit to work in the county right of way. I know many people think that they own to the edge of the road but generally speaking its just not the case. You very well might be responsable in what you are doing, but realize of 10 people, I would guess at least 5 would gouge the road, or strip the sod/grass on the shoulder/swale. Not saying legal vs illegal but there are reasons to not let the general public just do what ever inside the ROW.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #17  
**** snowmobiles and trail groomers pack snow in ditches and we have to dig it out before spring thaw as it blocks water flow in spring and causes flooding as water cant run off fast enough . Piled snow is the same ..it takes longer to thaw .

Interesting, the last club I was in up in Ottawa, dropped culverts in the ditch if required and groomed over them. In spring they retrieved the pipes.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #18  
Smile at your neighbor, thank him for informing you, and then put the snow across the road like you always have.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #19  
No snow here in northern florida, But, you must have a ROW use permit to work in the county right of way. I know many people think that they own to the edge of the road but generally speaking its just not the case. You very well might be responsable in what you are doing, but realize of 10 people, I would guess at least 5 would gouge the road, or strip the sod/grass on the shoulder/swale. Not saying legal vs illegal but there are reasons to not let the general public just do what ever inside the ROW.
Actually, you generally own to the center of the road. Thats why its called the Right Of Way because the municipality owns a Right Of Way which entitles them to use your property.

Aaron Z

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #20  
Actually, you generally own to the center of the road. Thats why its called the Right Of Way because the municipality owns a Right Of Way which entitles them to use your property.

Aaron Z