Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #21  
Unless there is some other reason not to, I would. We do it around our mailbox so the plow isnt bearing down into the bank trying to push it back and ends up snapping off our mailbox.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #22  
You own to your property corners, ie on many roads ~20 ft from edge of road. The center line thing is for private roads. The state/county/city owns the ROW, and you have the right of access, or at least in Florida. You are allowed to build a driveway for instance, but it must meet there codes/specs because it is on there property. I run into people all the time who complain about grass in "there ditch." And have to explain we only stabalize "our" swale, and dont grass the for residents viewing/mowing pleasure. Im not saying I agree with making someone put in a $4500 driveway for a car port by any means just explaining some of the Why.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #23  
Depends where u live. In my town the state or city can own up to 15 ft in from the curb and your driveway entrance is a right of way. An example would be a neighborhood with sidewalks, technically the sidewalk belongs to the city even though home owner is responsible for maintaining it, clearing snow. In that case especially if the ditch is for drainage it would be a problem. But in most cases the problem comes from inconsiderate plow operators leaving snow on the road causing a hazard.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #24  
You own to your property corners, ie on many roads ~20 ft from edge of road. The center line thing is for private roads. The state/county/city owns the ROW, and you have the right of access, or at least in Florida. You are allowed to build a driveway for instance, but it must meet there codes/specs because it is on there property. I run into people all the time who complain about grass in "there ditch." And have to explain we only stabalize "our" swale, and dont grass the for residents viewing/mowing pleasure. Im not saying I agree with making someone put in a $4500 driveway for a car port by any means just explaining some of the Why.

Depends on the state then. Here in NY our deed shows that we own to the middle of the state highway that goes across the front of the property. IIRC when I was working for a surveyor in GA it was the same way in some places (some subdivisions had the road deeded separately IIRC).

Aaron Z

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #25  
It seems awfully odd to worry about how much snow ends up in the ditch if it doesn't obscure visibility. That's where it will all end up anyway. I wonder if large snow berms caused the ditch to backup during the melt, and partially wash out some roads.

That is the only reason I can think of.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #26  
Unless there is some other reason not to, I would. We do it around our mailbox so the plow isnt bearing down into the bank trying to push it back and ends up snapping off our mailbox.
On our road, we used use 30-50 gallon barrels half full of rock with the post of the mailbox stuck inside. So when, not if, the snow plow knocked them down, you could "easily" put them back up. Looked like a toxic waste dump all along the hi-way though.:laughing:

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #27  
I don't know what the laws are in my county but I can tell you around here, both the county and the state use front end loaders to push the snow into and across the ditches on both sides of the roads.
They take down fences and mailboxes when it gets deep enough they can't see 'em.
They often pile it up 20' high along the side of the roads.
I'm not guessing they will ever get after me when I push some snow across the road.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #28  
Back when we used to get big snow, the plows would wing the banks back and make the road look as wide as a four lane highway. Visitors from town would always ditch their cars not realizing that in winter the road was as narrow as it was in the summer.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #29  
He lives 2 miles away, and doesn't own the land across the road from you? WTH? Could senile dementia or Alzheimer's be involved?

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #30  
I'm still amazed that a guy who lives two miles away from you decided to give you this civic lecture.
Maybe he was a supervisor wannabe...

Snow is water, and we can't let run off go on our neighbor's property unchecked. We are responsible for our water...
Seems seriously stupid to worry about when like us stuff melts pretty quickly, but if that snow stayed there for months on end,
it's going to attract attention by people who look for these "opportunities to be of service".... or to be a PITA.