Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #31  
I'm pretty sure, as has been posted, we aren't to push snow across a road here. I don't think it's legal to even drop your plow on a public road when driving.

I don't, but it's more because there is a low rise in one direction that limits driver's sight distance. I wouldn't want to be blocking the road if a car or truck comes over that rise, especially if the road is slick, which it normally is if I am out plowing the driveway. Normally, a car could stop, heavy truck--maybe. If they can't, or panic and wreck, guess who is going to be blamed? I just don't want the risk of that.

I clear what I can to the edge of the road, then back through what is left and push it up the driveway and stack it off to the side. I can do that and clean in front of the mailbox staying in one lane.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #32  
Think of it. The ditch is the best place for the snow as when spring thaws come it is where it should be IN TH DITCH!
Around here they purposely overplow the ditches with a side wing so that it melts there otherwise with the freeze thaws that occur overnight driving would be very dangerous.
Even on main highways the public works were out last week pushing holes in the banks because rain/freezing rain was forecast.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #33  
Think of it. The ditch is the best place for the snow as when spring thaws come it is where it should be IN TH DITCH!
Around here they purposely overplow the ditches with a side wing so that it melts there otherwise with the freeze thaws that occur overnight driving would be very dangerous.
Even on main highways the public works were out last week pushing holes in the banks because rain/freezing rain was forecast.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #34  

But here we spend a large part of the budget digging it out of ditches just before thaw to speed field run off and prevent flooding . It's a big sin for any of our guys to push into a ditch . Snow plows travel fast to wing over the ditch into the field .

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #35  
There are still cities and towns where homeowners are responsible for clearing and cleaning the sidewalk bordering their properties? On my street there is a strip of grass lined with several large elm trees between the sidewalk and the curb. I mow and trim the portion in front of my house but that's just because city employees do it only once a month or so and I don't like having a miniature jungle in front of my home. Even when they do it they don't use weed whackers so the base of the trees look unkempt.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #36  

It could be because of road salt, or the concern that someone would take to systematically pushing snow into the ditch which would over the winter create a miniature iceberg that would clog meltwater running down that ditch and flood surrounding area. If the area in question happens to be farmed for crops spongy soil could delay accessabilty for agricultural purposes.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #37  
There are people that are busybodies that have nothing better to do. I would never plow across a highway but a small backcountry dirt road with little to no traffic I have no problem with it as long as it does not cause any flooding or problems. Now if you cause a accident or your moved snow does, well it would not be a good thing. Use common sence any you will have no problems. CJ

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #38  
I'm lucky to live on a cul-de sac. I do put some on in and push to the edge... and I'm sure to clean up very well when I'm done. It has a 10' drop so no lack of room to put snow!

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #39  
It could be because of road salt, or the concern that someone would take to systematically pushing snow into the ditch which would over the winter create a miniature iceberg that would clog meltwater running down that ditch and flood surrounding area. If the area in question happens to be farmed for crops spongy soil could delay accessabilty for agricultural purposes.[/QUOTE
I think you may have hit upon the neighbor who suddenly says no snow in my field. Salt contamination would kill the ground and anything in it so I could understand his rant if one year you had salted the driveway then pushed it into his field so the following year nothing grew there.
I talked to one Canadian from Nova Scotia who said the city used to haul the snow to the harbor and dump it then EPA Canada said no more it is contaminating the ocean.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #40  
I live on a Private road, in fact the road is actually deeded to my property, looking at the road Maintenance agreements that everyone (5) have signed over the last 40 years of the road being here is rather interesting.. The agreements of course favor my property which is also the farthest one back, it basically says everyone is responsible for any part of the road that touches their property, and that part of the road must be kept clear enough for "Passenger Car" access.. Now being as I am the farthest back and my wife has to get out each morning guess who actually has to clear the road :)

Now just recently two of the neighbors who own Bulldozers decided to clear their own drives, the problem comes in that they push from their driveway across the road and into the ditches.. The heavy push right over the culvert might become a problem in the spring but that is their issue until it happens to take out the Culvert (last April).. The bigger problem for me at the moment, is that the Dozer blades cut into the road itself and spread mud and loose gravel across the road which makes it an issue for my blower when the next snowfall happens (tomorrow)..

I try not to be inconsiderate of my neighbors regardless of what they do, I always turn my discharge chute when I get near their drives, even though I do not have to. I clear the entire 1 mile of road and have never asked for a dime, even though legally I could charge each landowner a reasonable fee for clearing their sections... But honestly when somebody pushes across the roadway and makes my "Free" snow removal a harder chore that does kinda piss me off..

To the OP look at it from as many possible angles as you can think of, perhaps there is an issue that you are not seeing :confused: