Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST Cab, Mechron 2200

Default Re: Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch

Wouldn't it be easier to just see if there is a bylaw pertaining to this? County probably has a website with info re: everything.
    Rick

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

When we lived in Whitby the best place to store snow was in a vacant lot across the road, about 3 houses down. After doing my driveway (went up beside my house) I would push the snow from in front of my house and all my neighbour's houses and our sidewalks, over to the vacant yard. Worked fine for a number of years, then a new neighbour complained about me plowing HIS sidewalk....Duh

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

Visit a shopping center late one night. Look around and make sure it is clear. Now give yourself sufficient room to get up to fifty five miles per hour before driving over one of the speed bumps. After you extract your upper body from the ceiling, say now that's why they don't want snow pushed across the road. People who push snow across roads do not generally do a clean and neat job. Most create a huge speed bump. Then along comes someone traveling at fifty five miles per hour and they are launched into low orbit.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    B3030HSDCC, Oliver 77, JD LX288

Quote Originally Posted by Gator6x4 View Post
    Visit a shopping center late one night. Look around and make sure it is clear. Now give yourself sufficient room to get up to fifty five miles per hour before driving over one of the speed bumps. After you extract your upper body from the ceiling, say now that's why they don't want snow pushed across the road. People who push snow across roads do not generally do a clean and neat job. Most create a huge speed bump. Then along comes someone traveling at fifty five miles per hour and they are launched into low orbit.
    Maybe they shouldn't be driving that fast either?

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Ohl View Post
    Maybe they shouldn't be driving that fast either?

Why? If it is a legal speed limit on the road and the road conditions are clear why not drive legal speed limits? But now everything is fine and someone decides to clear their drive a day after the snow storm and pushes it across the road. Now all the road is clear till you hit what someone just pushed into the road.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Silver Member
    Tractor
    B3030HSDCC, Oliver 77, JD LX288

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_in_NY View Post
    Why? If it is a legal speed limit on the road and the road conditions are clear why not drive legal speed limits? But now everything is fine and someone decides to clear their drive a day after the snow storm and pushes it across the road. Now all the road is clear till you hit what someone just pushed into the road.
    Just because it's a legal speed limit doesn't mean it's safe to drive that fast.

Tractor
    International 2500a with Loader

i was also told by the guy who plows our roads for the township that is illegal to plow across the roads.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertperform View Post
    Where I live in WI I received notice in the mail from my township last Fall stating it is illegal to even push snow across the roadway. This includes the dirt town roads. I can see why. You get lazy idiots who plow across the road and don't clean up after themselves. This can leave a hard packed berm that is dangerous for vehicles traveling the road.

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Ohl View Post
    Just because it's a legal speed limit doesn't mean it's safe to drive that fast.
    If the road is clear and it is the legal posted speed then it is safe to drive that fast.

Tractor
    john deeere 855

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_in_NY View Post

If the road is clear and it is the legal posted speed then it is safe to drive that fast.
    I no matter what speed some one is traveling it is a hazard, if it is pushed into the road and freezes it is like hitting a block or an unsuspecting ice patch. It is a HAZARD! If you must push it across the road please just clean it up. One other thing it is easy to figure out who's driveway the snow came from and it should be noted in any accident report as a contributing factor. If it came from your driveway can you spell law suit?

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by DABSGT View Post
    I no matter what speed some one is traveling it is a hazard, if it is pushed into the road and freezes it is like hitting a block or an unsuspecting ice patch. It is a HAZARD! If you must push it across the road please just clean it up. One other thing it is easy to figure out who's driveway the snow came from and it should be noted in any accident report as a contributing factor. If it came from your driveway can you spell law suit?

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet
    I agree, I've hit a few spots around here over the years and while never had an accident I know how easy someone could in the right conditions.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast