Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #1  

BlackRaptor

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
Okay guys maybe this is a stupid question and i do understand that laws are different from place to place but as a general rule of thumb.

For the past 19 years so since i was 12 I have taken the snow at the end up the driveway the plow pushes into the driveway and just ran the tractor down and pushed it into the ditch straight across from the driveway i always push it down into the ditch a little so its not right on the side of the road and i ALWAYS clean up the lines left on the dirt road from pushing the snow. Well for the first time in 19 years the guy who lives down the road one of the good old boys drove up telling me what i'm doing is illegal and what not. Funny thing is he has lived next to us my whole life but i purchased the farm from my parents this year so its my first year out here.
I was very respectful don't feel like picking any fights and if its generally illegal and i knew that i would never have just find it odd after 19 years its all of the sudden a problem. I'll never push into the ditch just out of respect.
But for the rest fo you guys living on small dirt roads is it illegal in on your road to do this?
Thanks for the info. This is more one of those surprised questions and wondering if i'm really that in the dark.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #2  
This is the state law in michigan cant see where your from via my phone.

Michigan Snow Statute MCL 257.677a—Snow, ice, slush on roadway (1) As used in this section: (a) “Person” shall not include the state or a political subdivision of the state or an employee of the state or a political subdivision of the state operating within the scope of his duties. (b) “Safety vision” means an unobstructed line of sight enabling a driver to travel upon, enter, or exit a roadway in a safe manner.
(2) A person shall not remove, or cause to be removed, snow, ice, or slush onto or across a roadway or the shoulder of the roadway in a manner, which obstructs the safety vision of the driver of a motor vehicle other than off-road vehicles.
(3) A person shall not deposit, or cause to be deposited, snow, ice or slush onto or across a roadway or the shoulder of the roadway in a manner which obstructs the safety vision of a motor vehicle.
(4) A person shall not deposit, or cause to be deposited, snow, ice, or slush on any roadway or highway

Dave

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #3  
So according to that law it is not against the law to push it across just against the law to move snow across the road in a manner that obstructs safety vision of a car. This is the same law they could ticket you for not cleaning off your car and driving it down the road and let the snow blow of you are depositing snow on a road and obstructing vision. Am I reading it right.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch
Thats also how i read that. granted maybe MN if different. But thats how i understood dont leave a mess on the road and also dont leave it on the shoulder. I push it good 3 foot down into the ditch so its well into the down slope

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #5  
   / Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #6  
But for the rest fo you guys living on small dirt roads is it illegal in on your road to do this?

Okay I don't live on a little dirt road but my BIL does so I asked him and he says apparently it's illegal to clog a ditch with snow even if you own the land across the road (which he does) so he blows the snow into a field clear across the ditch. He does not understand the reason for the law considering water in the ditch is frozen solid 3 months a year and won't flow anyway, but has learned not to question almighty County Wisemen. He also mentioned that back in the day when a lot of folks were still using mostly snow scoops and simple tractor plows they would leave a lot of snow on the roadway if they pushed it across, which lead to regulation. I also think that the dangerous habit of using tractors with little ot no lights to do this at night had something with the toughening of the law. Even at 40 mph coming face-to-face with an unexpected tractor blocking the road at night is not a pleasant prospect.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #7  
In the "good" old days on country roads it was up to each farmer to clear the portion of roadway crossing his property so I guess some of them and their descendants took to the habit of having some control over "their" stretch of road that did not blend in well with the advent of mechanized clearing by county authorities or contractors hired by the county who expect to do their job a certain way over the whole length of the road.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #8  
Is your road commisioner complaining .Iwould tell your neighbor to go Fuuu himself.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch #9  
I also read that as only if you leave snow in the road would it be a problem. I think this could also be interpreted that if they left a big berm at the corner of your drive, the county plows could be in violation of the law.
It seems awfully odd to worry about how much snow ends up in the ditch if it doesn't obscure visibility. That's where it will all end up anyway. I wonder if large snow berms caused the ditch to backup during the melt, and partially wash out some roads.
Makes me wonder if the neighbor was complaining because the extra snow melt causes water to run onto his property. I've seen some people get nasty over less.

/ Pushing Snow Across the dirt road and down into the ditch
The snow would not effect this guy at all. he lives over a 2 miles away.
Also the land thats right across from me is owned by someone else who could not care less so its not a land problem.

Also we're not talkin much snow here when i finsiehd it was two buckets wide so 72" X2 and maybe 2.5 feet tall. But keep in mind this is on the down sloap of the ditch so its not even as high as the road it self.

I think he was just trying to show me who's the big guy around here.