Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #41  
What, I was distracted by the busty weather babe ! Yep looks like we are in the 1-2' range with plenty of wind, put the blower on the tractor today , first time in two years .

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #42  
What, I was distracted by the busty weather babe ! Yep looks like we are in the 1-2' range with plenty of wind, put the blower on the tractor today , first time in two years .
Looks like you will have the worst of it. Be sure to post some morning after pics so we can compare. Not of the weather babe but of the snow piles. :rolleyes:

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #43  
Oh man. This just in from CNN

Major U.S. airlines have canceled 2,933 flights ahead of what could be a historic blizzard in the Northeast on Friday.

Forecasters expect a wintry blast churning across the nation and a cold front barreling up the East Coast to converge and dump as much as a foot of snow in New York and up to 3 feet in Boston. They also warn of potential white-out conditions across the region.

The most severe weather is expected to hit Massachusetts on Friday between 2 and 5 p.m.

Follow complete coverage of breaking news on CNN TV, CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News and CNN Mobile.

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #44  
   / Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #45  
It's getting towed to the commercial property I maintain. It will be there tomorrow long before it is actually needed. And I bought the wife a shovel......just in case.

I'd be afraid to buy the wife a shovel, she might use it on me. That makes sense now, I wondered why your skid steer was up on a trailer. That's looks like a nice sanding unit on the truck.

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #46  
Evening news says 1 to 2 feet with 30 to 40 mph winds. Eeek! anyone got a spare cab?

View attachment 301848

I hear that!!

Wishing I bought a tractor with a cab vs a tractor with a backhoe this winter! Open station and blowing snow when its -15*C sucks!

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #47  
The weather watching system has much improved over the years. The night before the blizzard I stopped in town for a bit, at the local watering hole. Bar tender told me I'd better get for home, there was a blizzard coming. There was nothing aboutthis on the 6:00 p.m. news, other than we may get some snow.

At tjhis time, it was 52º and raining. The top local forecaster at the time was telling viewers he wasn't sure what we were going to get. In his 30 years of forecasting, he'd never seen the barometer drop that low, and as fast, as it was at the present time. All he would say is, we were in for a rough storm. This was approx. 10:45 p.m. So went home ,and hit the sheets. Still raining, and still 52º.

At approx. 2:30 a.m. got the call to come to work. Night watchman told me to be careful, we were having a blizzard. Half groggy, I told him I'd be on my way shortly. I then realized the power was out, and there was a terrible howling outside. Took 4 hours to go 10 miles, but finally made it.

Spent 5 days away from home, before making it back.

We were pretty fortunate to have a National Guard Construction unit in the County, or so we thought. They had like 8, D-7 dozer's, and about as many large front end loader's. Not a one would start... After 4 days, they did manage to get one of the loaders started, but they sent it up to I-70 to work up there.

If it hadn't been for some of the well to do farmer's in the area, we'd have been screwed. Some had large tractor's with snow blowers. I do recall going out one state route they has made a pass through. We had the newest truck in the garage, a '78, 1800 International. On much of the road, the snow was higher than the cab on the truck, where it had drifted.

Hate to keep rambling on, but amazing how something like that will leave an impression on you. Wouldn't have passed on the experience for anything, but don't want to go through another...

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #48  
sorry, but i get a little confused. we get regular storms dumping 1-2 feet in a day or so up here, and its no big deal. people stay home 1 day, the roads get cleared, then all gets back to normal.

a few years back, we got over 36" of snow overnight. it was cleared from all but smallest streets within 24 hours. i lost 1 day of work.

i got 8 hours seat time in my old open cab 870...got to play in lots of fun snow. made some nice cash.

i loved it.

i wouldnt mind having 2 feet tomorrow.....id like to try it in my cab tractor with heat hehe.

Im just amazed how the news reports play it up as a near end times scenario.... I can see cancelling flights and such, but i think the news stations just like to scare people.

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states
Eastern Ma. always gets small amounts of snow because of the ocean winds. When they get a real storm they dont know how to drive or what to do. More than 6 inches cripples the whole city.
Out where I am we get heavy snow almost every time. Here is a pic of our October storm two years ago. We got 27 inches over night.
backdeck.JPG
I remember growing up that we got much bigger storms more frequently.

/ Posible blizzard coming to Massachusetts and surrounding states #50  
I remember growing up that we got much bigger storms more frequently.

bet a lot of us could sound in on this.... I agree with you, though memories from when we were three feet tall
sure makes the snow higher! Remember walking in snow tunnels? Making snow forts?

glad you have a cab...:)
Lot of guys in open equipment are going to get icy cheeks on this one.
When I had a beard, I'd come in from snowblowing in cold weather and
it would be quite a sight with ice all over me. But that beard did keep me warm, a fact
my wife likes to ignore since she is not a fan of "scruffy". In the winter, I sure am.