Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 2020, IH CC 1250, Ariens 926 Snowthrower

Default Re: N.E. Blizzard of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RFB View Post
    I asked this in another thread but saw no response. Have you guys with open station ever tried the heated (12v) snowmobile suits?
    Tell more please! I have the coat (Milwaukee) and I don't think it works too well. I use layers of stuff including turtle neck sweater. Outer layer is an old blaze orange hunting coat (needed I think in windy conditions where the town plow guy happens to have the same idea you do).

That snowmobile stuff is turning everybody into woosies I think! Heated handle bars, knee warmers, foot rests and reverse!!!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota b2920

I had a similar experience, this was the biggest snow I've had since I've had my current tractor. I had a new rear blade and the FEL. I discovered I could plow by dragging the rear blade up to 10 - 11" (fluffy), but above that I lost traction because of clearance. I found pushing with the rear blade let me move a huge amount of snow and I never lost traction doing that, but some snow went over the top so it took multiple passes. I used a combo approach where I pushed forward with the FEL to clear a path, then backed up and pushed with the rear blade to clean up and widen it and repeated. I also found that medium range for me was better than low, I ran out of traction before power and medium let me get some wheel spin and momentum. I ended up doing 6 driveways (helping neighbors) plus mine in about 24" of snow. I'm always impressed by how much a little machine can move. If I did it more often I think a pair of chains would be a good investment, though turfs are surprisingly good.

For the snowmobile suit I don't use a heated one, but use a regular one and a face mask. I was perfectly warm despite high winds and being out working for 3 hours without a cab. They key was the suit blocking the wind and then some layers underneath. Only my eyes were exposed.

Tractor
    new holland tn70

hey guy' thats some great pics i know your having fun enjoy.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Quote Originally Posted by RFB View Post
    I asked this in another thread but saw no response. Have you guys with open station ever tried the heated (12v) snowmobile suits?
    Nope. I do wear my bank robber's/ski mask if it is really nasty. The rest is just layers. I have a pair of Carhart insulated bibs and they are nice.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    Kubota B3200

I wear my ice fishing suit, even with the wind it was a little warm.
    2012 Kubota B3200 FEL/BH w thumb R4

Tractor
    '10 3320 cab

Hiya,

Finally got to put the cab tractor/front blower to work with the 2+ feet we got on the mountain. So much better than the open station/3pt blower combo we have been using for decades. Never going back. I used to have heated socks, pants, vest and gloves as well as a bank robber pull over hood as well as plastic trash bags taped to my back and legs to keep from getting soaked from the blowing snow. Today I wore a tee shirt, pj pants and slippers while I listened to some SRV and a cup of Sumatra dark roast. Yep, it was expensive to move up to a cab, however worth every penny...

Tom
    -1360430945519mms95picture-jpg
    Big and little Green tractors, Orange tractors and one awesome brown dog.

"Congelo nos opus, quantum punitor ingravesco"

"Behold, like the wild azz in the desert, go I forth to my work"

Tractor
    JD 4105. 375 Backhoe. 2005 Polaris Ranger

Nice post ARROW, your an animal with that tractor. You had a lot to clear but it looks great. I am new at FEL clearing as well. I would like a rear blade, did it work well for final touch up once most removed? I know this storm was too big for that only but seems like it would be good when all but 3-4" removed?

Am I thinking about that right?

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, B26 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by Teikas Dad View Post

The last storm that we had like this was in 1978 so it won't break my heart if we don't get another one like it for another 30 years.
    I hope all the rest of you in New England who got hit with the storm are safe and able to get yourselves out.
    While serving in the Navy I was there in Quincy MA. for the blizzard of '78. Coming from Wisconsin it was just another winter which ironically has been lacking lately. I did not have a tractor then and shoveled a whole lot!
    Working to increase the scope of the small tractor experience, one quick attach at a time.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

. Today I wore a tee shirt, pj pants and slippers while I listened to some SRV and a cup of Sumatra dark roast. Yep, it was expensive to move up to a cab, however worth every penny...

Tom
    -1360430945519mms95picture-jpg
    I wore the same things Tom….. then put some more clothes on over that. Did not drink anything as I have a geared tractor

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardA91 View Post
    Nice post ARROW, your an animal with that tractor. You had a lot to clear but it looks great. I am new at FEL clearing as well. I would like a rear blade, did it work well for final touch up once most removed? I know this storm was too big for that only but seems like it would be good when all but 3-4" removed?

Am I thinking about that right?
    Thanks Buzzard. Here's where the rear blade comes in handy with the tractor moving forward: Long runs if the snow is not too deep. About a foot of snow is all I care for with this method. 2. It's great ballast. 3. You can go forward with the fel and move snow going backwards as well. If I had to do t over I'd get a blade with a higher mold board than the 14" I currently have. More like 17 or 18" would be better for snow as snow tumbles over this height more often than not. For a storm this size, although it is inappropriate as a snow mover initiator ( you need the fel for that) it does a great job of cleaning up windrows as its 6' width covers more ground. I am still intrigued about a snow pusher however but a 5 footer is probably the best all arounder for this tractor and its measly 3000 lbs. Chains and loaded rears make this tractor bigger than it is

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast