N.E. Blizzard of 2013

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #11  
I asked this in another thread but saw no response. Have you guys with open station ever tried the heated (12v) snowmobile suits?

Tell more please! I have the coat (Milwaukee) and I don't think it works too well. I use layers of stuff including turtle neck sweater. Outer layer is an old blaze orange hunting coat (needed I think in windy conditions where the town plow guy happens to have the same idea you do).

That snowmobile stuff is turning everybody into woosies I think! Heated handle bars, knee warmers, foot rests and reverse!!!

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #12  
I had a similar experience, this was the biggest snow I've had since I've had my current tractor. I had a new rear blade and the FEL. I discovered I could plow by dragging the rear blade up to 10 - 11" (fluffy), but above that I lost traction because of clearance. I found pushing with the rear blade let me move a huge amount of snow and I never lost traction doing that, but some snow went over the top so it took multiple passes. I used a combo approach where I pushed forward with the FEL to clear a path, then backed up and pushed with the rear blade to clean up and widen it and repeated. I also found that medium range for me was better than low, I ran out of traction before power and medium let me get some wheel spin and momentum. I ended up doing 6 driveways (helping neighbors) plus mine in about 24" of snow. I'm always impressed by how much a little machine can move. If I did it more often I think a pair of chains would be a good investment, though turfs are surprisingly good.

For the snowmobile suit I don't use a heated one, but use a regular one and a face mask. I was perfectly warm despite high winds and being out working for 3 hours without a cab. They key was the suit blocking the wind and then some layers underneath. Only my eyes were exposed.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #13  
hey guy' thats some great pics i know your having fun enjoy.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #14  
I asked this in another thread but saw no response. Have you guys with open station ever tried the heated (12v) snowmobile suits?

Nope. I do wear my bank robber's/ski mask if it is really nasty. The rest is just layers. I have a pair of Carhart insulated bibs and they are nice.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #15  
I wear my ice fishing suit, even with the wind it was a little warm.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #16  
Hiya,

Finally got to put the cab tractor/front blower to work with the 2+ feet we got on the mountain. So much better than the open station/3pt blower combo we have been using for decades. Never going back. I used to have heated socks, pants, vest and gloves as well as a bank robber pull over hood as well as plastic trash bags taped to my back and legs to keep from getting soaked from the blowing snow. Today I wore a tee shirt, pj pants and slippers while I listened to some SRV and a cup of Sumatra dark roast. Yep, it was expensive to move up to a cab, however worth every penny...

Tom
1360430945519mms95picture.jpg

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #17  
Nice post ARROW, your an animal with that tractor. You had a lot to clear but it looks great. I am new at FEL clearing as well. I would like a rear blade, did it work well for final touch up once most removed? I know this storm was too big for that only but seems like it would be good when all but 3-4" removed?

Am I thinking about that right?

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #18  
The last storm that we had like this was in 1978 so it won't break my heart if we don't get another one like it for another 30 years.
I hope all the rest of you in New England who got hit with the storm are safe and able to get yourselves out.
While serving in the Navy I was there in Quincy MA. for the blizzard of '78. Coming from Wisconsin it was just another winter which ironically has been lacking lately. I did not have a tractor then and shoveled a whole lot!

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013
Hiya,

. Today I wore a tee shirt, pj pants and slippers while I listened to some SRV and a cup of Sumatra dark roast. Yep, it was expensive to move up to a cab, however worth every penny...

Tom
View attachment 302289

I wore the same things Tom….. then put some more clothes on over that. Did not drink anything as I have a geared tractor

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013
Nice post ARROW, your an animal with that tractor. You had a lot to clear but it looks great. I am new at FEL clearing as well. I would like a rear blade, did it work well for final touch up once most removed? I know this storm was too big for that only but seems like it would be good when all but 3-4" removed?

Am I thinking about that right?

Thanks Buzzard. Here's where the rear blade comes in handy with the tractor moving forward: Long runs if the snow is not too deep. About a foot of snow is all I care for with this method. 2. It's great ballast. 3. You can go forward with the fel and move snow going backwards as well. If I had to do t over I'd get a blade with a higher mold board than the 14" I currently have. More like 17 or 18" would be better for snow as snow tumbles over this height more often than not. For a storm this size, although it is inappropriate as a snow mover initiator ( you need the fel for that) it does a great job of cleaning up windrows as its 6' width covers more ground. I am still intrigued about a snow pusher however but a 5 footer is probably the best all arounder for this tractor and its measly 3000 lbs. Chains and loaded rears make this tractor bigger than it is