N.E. Blizzard of 2013

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #42  
A few years ago we had two feet of snow and with my small tractor a rear blade and FEL were just not enough. "Huge" amounts of snow combined with my narrow 1/4 mile gravel drive was a nightmare.

This time I was ready for the 30" .
Kubota rear mount snowblower (w/ modified wider skid shoes)
IMG_8275.JPG

IMG_8296.JPG Tire chains and plexiglass shield

Bxpanded snowplow
IMG_8295.JPG

Yesterday was actually fun. :)

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #43  
A few years ago we had two feet of snow and with my small tractor a rear blade and FEL were just not enough. "Huge" amounts of snow combined with my narrow 1/4 mile gravel drive was a nightmare.

This time I was ready for the 30" .
Kubota rear mount snowblower (w/ modified wider skid shoes)
View attachment 302652

View attachment 302654 Tire chains and plexiglass shield

Bxpanded snowplow
View attachment 302653

Yesterday was actually fun. :)

I know exactly what you mean. I like what you did with the shield. I could have used something similar....great idea. Looks pretty easy to make.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #44  
These guys got all tuckered out watching me do snow removal :D

thor_gypsy_zps43a60d4a.jpg

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #45  
Yea 28" here and my drive way is 1/4 mile with berms so the snow piled in. Went out at 9 pm it was no real visibility and I plowed 6" with my Silverado 2500 with 88 lbs ballast and v chains. Next morning couldn't tell I had done anything. Had to break rules and plow uphill but only deep enough to clear the chassis. Made one pass all the way no push spots to drop off snow, piles in front and the chains were spinning. Spent 4 hours on the Tractor clearing out wider and pushing banks back and clearing the parking area and finding the mail boxes that got plowed in deep with 6' in front of them. It was a learning experience taking on snow this deep. Now I am wondering how much a used or new blower would be. I would leave it 3" above the driveway and plow the rest.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #46  
This is a certain indication of Global Warming. (GW)
If we get really cold weather its because of GW
If we get really Hot weather its because of GW
If we get a drought its because of GW
If we get a inundated with rain of snow its because of GW

We are doomed!

This is how it's done :)

8464265111_964bcd94ef_z_d.jpg

JayC

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #47  
Jay4200 said:
This is a certain indication of Global Warming. (GW)
If we get really cold weather its because of GW
If we get really Hot weather its because of GW
If we get a drought its because of GW
If we get a inundated with rain of snow its because of GW

We are doomed!

This is how it's done :)

JayC

Nope. "They've" been clear that one of the proofs of GW was we just don't get the kind of blizzard storms we used to as kids. Now that the blizzard has come, GWCC has been cancelled. I'm glad, cause tractoring in the snow is wicked cool!

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #48  
I have always used a snow pusher for deep snow, the high sides and tall back keep the spillover in check. Always get the correct size for the equipment. I have not ran into anything yet that the DK50 wont push with the 8' pusher with just the back chained up. Most depth I have pushed was almost 30" of wet snow. Pushing banks back or opening roads the front really helps when chained. CJ

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013
I have always used a snow pusher for deep snow, the high sides and tall back keep the spillover in check. Always get the correct size for the equipment. I have not ran into anything yet that the DK50 wont push with the 8' pusher with just the back chained up. Most depth I have pushed was almost 30" of wet snow. Pushing banks back or opening roads the front really helps when chained. CJ

Your tractor is heavy enough. I was thinking about a 6' pusher but for this depth we just got (27") it would have overwhelmed the tractor. I think a 5' pusher is all I should be thinking about. A 24" high and 24" deep pusher can bundle up lot of snow and seeing how my tractor weighs around 3000 lbs, that might also be a chore at this depth even at 5' wide. I'm sure one of our math guys lurking in the forum could probably come up with a graph of some sort. Could be tricky considering a cubic foot of snow could go from a pound to over 20 depending on its moisture content. What does the your 50 weigh?

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #50  
To the poster asking about heated clothing, it works great on the tractor.

Both my wife and I have Gerbing heated motorcycle clothing (coats and gloves). I have yet to use it on the tractor, but my wife used it on Saturday while she was clearing our driveway of 18 inches of snow. Southern New England got more snow than we did in ski country.

I installed a 12 volt outlet in the plastic cover just behind the Hi/Low selector on our Kioti CK 30. The heated clothing control plugs into the outlet and you can regulate your temperature using the variable controller from Gerbing.

Much less expensive than a cab. And the heated clothing lets us extend our motorcycle season by a couple of months too.