N.E. Blizzard of 2013

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #61  
Big parking lots are a different beast and a pusher box on a large machine wins out there. Got to hand it to guys that can keep a big lot clear in a good storm with the stores open for business. Seems there is always a little car with a seasoned citizen driver right under the counter weight every time you go to back up.

I hear you on the senior citizen, you can list a few of the younger senior idiots that we have around here also!! CJ

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #62  
Anyone looking in the "Perfection Mirror" as they are typing.:)

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #63  
12 in here in Central Maine- plowed it, took a while to get the drives and barn cleared. Time to go out and bring the wood in with the tractor and one more swipe or two for the 3 inches we got so the wheel barrow has a clear run to the manure pile. Got home late yesterday, so I'll do it now.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #64  
tcreeley said:
12 in here in Central Maine- plowed it, took a while to get the drives and barn cleared. Time to go out and bring the wood in with the tractor and one more swipe or two for the 3 inches we got so the wheel barrow has a clear run to the manure pile. Got home late yesterday, so I'll do it now.

Many of us got a record snowfall, like when we were kids...only more. Does that have any impact on your view of GWCC? IIRC, the "missing" snowstorms of the past were a main reason for your perspective.

While last year snow was MIA, this year we've had tons of fun sledding, fort-building, and playing king of the mountain. Well, I mean the kids have had the fun. I'm too old for that :)

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #65  
Big parking lots are a different beast and a pusher box on a large machine wins out there. Got to hand it to guys that can keep a big lot clear in a good storm with the stores open for business. Seems there is always a little car with a seasoned citizen driver right under the counter weight every time you go to back up.

I do a parking lot with a Dunkin Donuts, two banks, and a fast food burger joint. It is open 22 hours a day, and a total PITA to plow. Where there are no granite curbs, the grass is mounded at a 30* angle along the asphalt. There is absolutely no where to put snow. We got a true 28" of base snow with 8-10' drifts. Trucks with plows were useless, a CUT would also be useless. My Cat was seriously undersized and I had to get two big Volvo loaders in to move the piles this past storm left behind.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #66  
Hey guys an gals: I skipped a few pages so not sure if anyone does this, but its worked well for my long farm lane for the past 40 years. Yes I have a heated cab so at my age now its great. On a heavy snow fall like the last few days, I keep the rear blade up for ballast on my UNchained R-4's and drop the bucket and boot 'er down the lane letting snow fly over and around the bucket. Just a couple trips down and back, then I lift the bucket and drop the rear blade, (on a good angle) and scoot down a few times to clear and tidy. That always works for me. Its those first couple of runs with the 6 foot bucket that opens the trail and loosens the snow,... then the rear blade does a fine job!!
CHEERS !
. . tug

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #67  
I do a parking lot with a Dunkin Donuts, two banks, and a fast food burger joint. It is open 22 hours a day, and a total PITA to plow. Where there are no granite curbs, the grass is mounded at a 30* angle along the asphalt. There is absolutely no where to put snow. We got a true 28" of base snow with 8-10' drifts. Trucks with plows were useless, a CUT would also be useless. My Cat was seriously undersized and I had to get two big Volvo loaders in to move the piles this past storm left behind.
Funny how they always seam to let out the parking lot design to some landscape architect that loves raised islands, serpentine drives and dead end sections. Just once I'd like to see one designed by the guy that has to plow it.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #68  
In 2013 in central Maine we get less snow than we got in the early 1960's on the western edge of Massachusetts. It has been that way for a while. It has been a warm winter. We are using less wood. I've shoveled the path from the house to the driveway 4x this winter. My snowblower is still in the shed from last winter. Our 12" is down to 8-9 since it has been melting. Under the latest storm is bare ground for the most part. Folks to the south are getting storms- but it is a milder winter for us. I like that- with my arthritis, walking through snow is a literal pain!

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #69  
tcreeley said:
In 2013 in central Maine we get less snow than we got in the early 1960's on the western edge of Massachusetts. It has been that way for a while. It has been a warm winter. We are using less wood. I've shoveled the path from the house to the driveway 4x this winter. My snowblower is still in the shed from last winter. Our 12" is down to 8-9 since it has been melting. Under the latest storm is bare ground for the most part. Folks to the south are getting storms- but it is a milder winter for us. I like that- with my arthritis, walking through snow is a literal pain!

Yes, less snow is good as we are older, agreed. Southern Maine, however, had a record snowfall. Previous Portland record was 27", according to news reports, and this storm dumped near 32". Southern Maine is still cleaning up the snow, and hauling it off. I bet their still at it tomorrow.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #70  
Another 8-15" tonight, welcome to the Michigan snow belt. Most people won't even hear about it. CJ