N.E. Blizzard of 2013

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Learned some more of my tractor with this snow storm. It was the the largest amount I plowed (27")with this tractor. I answered my question about a suitable width for a snow pusher I wanted to acquire. I thought it could handle a 6 footer but had I had a 6' snow pusher on, I would not have done well with 27". Maybe 10"-12" but my 54" bucket was everything this tractor could handle at this depth. It didn't help that the first 8" was the wet, heavy ,sticky stuff. The chains came in very handy as this was the first major snow storm since I bought them in 06. I did not have them for the storm in 2005 (22.5") and would have to take much smaller bites. As it were, I could not go down the driveway in one shot and had to veer off to clear the snow but was able to go 3 times as far before the tractor got overwhelmed with the chained tires than without them. Where it normally takes me a half hour for a 6" storm, this one took me 3.5 hours to clear everything. The back blade was useless in this depth and only came in handy when I removed the first 15" or so with the bucket. Constant battle with snow over flowing the tops of the blade and bucket. For you guys who live near the Lakes, I can easily understand why you need snow blowers as I was running out of places to put it all. The first picture was a mistake and didn't know how to get rid of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 503
  • IMG_1660.jpg
    IMG_1660.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 905
  • IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 465
   / N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #2  
When you get one of those, I think you have to be prepared for the "early and often" (like voting in Chicago). You started as rain so you knew what the first snow was going to be like (wet and heavy).

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013
When you get one of those, I think you have to be prepared for the "early and often" (like voting in Chicago). You started as rain so you knew what the first snow was going to be like (wet and heavy).

The snow was about 12" at 11 pm and in a full blizzard mode. With no cab, there was no way I was going out there at that point. I looked at this as a challenge. Fortunately the tractor stayed together.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #4  
Good Job

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #5  
I did just one storm with a back blade and front bucket before I started looking for a plow I could mount on the front. If I had to do a two foot storm with your setup I would only use the back blade when I was backing up. A plow is a lot of money for the number of times you are likely to need it but they sure work nice. Keep your eye out for a used one.
011613135632_zps7385ebc2.jpg

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013
I did just one storm with a back blade and front bucket before I started looking for a plow I could mount on the front. If I had to do a two foot storm with your setup I would only use the back blade when I was backing up. A plow is a lot of money for the number of times you are likely to need it but they sure work nice. Keep your eye out for a used one.
011613135632_zps7385ebc2.jpg

If I had your rig VT I'd get what you have in a heart beat. Your fronts are as large as my rears. You would have been done with my place in less than an hour. Your rig substantiates anything you want to buy for it. My tractor has always been a compromise that does the deed but takes much longer.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #7  
The snow was about 12" at 11 pm and in a full blizzard mode. With no cab, there was no way I was going out there at that point. I looked at this as a challenge. Fortunately the tractor stayed together.

My first house was in the middle of nowhere with a North/south driveway open to fields on both sides. Probably a good nine-iron from the front door to the mailbox. I could only afford a used 1250 CubCadet at the time to which I added a plow and chains. Given my tools, I learned the "early and often" rule quickly. Not pleasant at all but short doses of small pain beat one long dose of big pain. Same can be said for the home snowblowers btw.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #8  
I learned a lot today too. First time since I bought the tractor that I've had a chance to use it. I spent about 4 hours in the seat today between my driveway and the neighbor's. Usually I plow with my Yamaha Rhino that I've got a 6 ft plow for. I used the Rhino all through Snowmaggeden in 2011 but this storm was different. In 2011 we had one storm after another so our total snow on the ground was a lot more but we didn't get the amount in one storm that we got last night.

Rhino plowing in 2011:
IMG_3632.jpg

Mailboxes at the end of the driveway this morning:
IMG_3594_zps6d4a3d5c.jpg

I started out with the Rhino this morning....not so much. We had 24+ inches on the ground and it was drifting deeper. Of course the tractor was in the garage parked behind my truck so first I had to clear out enough space to get the truck out in order to get the tractor out. Between the Rhino and my snowblower I was able to do that.

IMG_3585_zpsc2e2e6ab.jpg

The tractor performed great. I put a Piranha toothbar on it and in 20/20 hindsight I should have removed it for snowplowing, but I still got the job done. The snow was deep enough that I was only able to push the snow about 20 feet at a time before the tires started to spin. Other people have posted that R4's suck in the snow....they are totally correct. By the end of the day I had mountains of snow piled all along the edges of my driveway and my neighbor's, so my little orange tractor accomplished the mission. The last storm that we had like this was in 1978 so it won't break my heart if we don't get another one like it for another 30 years.

IMG_3603_zpsc2deb898.jpg

IMG_3604_zpsd8b7e3f3.jpg

Of course the dog was none too happy, the snow was over her head so I had to make a "Potty trail" for her in the snow.

IMG_3606_zps7301dae2.jpg

IMG_3610_zps37f591fc.jpg

Teika after her afternoon potty break, feeling much happier now....

IMG_3613_zps051c93aa.jpg

I hope all the rest of you in New England who got hit with the storm are safe and able to get yourselves out.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #9  
If I had your rig VT I'd get what you have in a heart beat. Your fronts are as large as my rears. You would have been done with my place in less than an hour. Your rig substantiates anything you want to buy for it. My tractor has always been a compromise that does the deed but takes much longer.
Oh I hear you there. I went eighteen years between tractors while we raised a family and sent them off to college. If your tractor annoys you just try living on any real property without one. And no I can't buy all the things I want to buy to hook onto mine. The list is just too, too long and there are just not enough paychecks to cover them all.
No matter what size your tractor is there is a plow blade that will fit it and its power level. Keep your eye out and you will probably find one that no longer suites the present owner and can be had for just a little above scrap price. And build yourself a cab, even if it is just plywood and junkyard windows it will save you from hypothermia and make every winter chore that much less work.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #10  
I asked this in another thread but saw no response. Have you guys with open station ever tried the heated (12v) snowmobile suits?