Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Buhler snow blower rattle

/ Buhler snow blower rattle #1  

Rustywreck

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland T 1520
I have a Buhler rear snow blower which I purchased new a few years ago. It has always had a rattle coming from the shoot, the part that rotates. It is loose, so much so that I can wiggle it with my hand.
There is a collar around the shoot where it attaches to the rest of the blower. I messed with that a couple years ago to see if it could tighten the shoot and eliminate the rattling; however, it did not. It almost seems like there should be some kind of plastic ring or glide around it to take up the space and allow the shoot to rotate.
Has anyone else had or noticed this problem? If so, did you find a solution?
Other than the rattling I have no complaints about the blower.

/ Buhler snow blower rattle #2  
I have a Buhler rear snow blower which I purchased new a few years ago. It has always had a rattle coming from the shoot, the part that rotates. It is loose, so much so that I can wiggle it with my hand.
There is a collar around the shoot where it attaches to the rest of the blower. I messed with that a couple years ago to see if it could tighten the shoot and eliminate the rattling; however, it did not. It almost seems like there should be some kind of plastic ring or glide around it to take up the space and allow the shoot to rotate.
Has anyone else had or noticed this problem? If so, did you find a solution?
Other than the rattling I have no complaints about the blower.

You "should" have a plastic Tivar ring between the chute base and the augewr housing and it may be very worn from being rotated as well as the pressure created by the snow be propelled out of the chute by the impeller and this creates wear spots especially when heavy snow is encountered as it pounding against the chute body and the chute is pushing against the base where the plastic wear ring is. If you still have the manual it will show parts break down as well. I am unsure if Buhler has a link to the manuals for its implements.

IF the chute rotation is done with a tensioned wire cable using a worm sheave at the end of the handle the cable may have worked loose to the point where it has no tension which is what permits the chute to rotate as the cable is wrapped around the chute base.

If Ken Sweet does not see your question please send him a
private message with the model and serial number as he can help you.

/ Buhler snow blower rattle
I've looked at the parts breakdown for the blower and it doesn't show or list anything between the shoot and the body of the blower.
I purchase the blower new and it came assembled. It has made this noise since the beginning. It functions well, just noisy.

/ Buhler snow blower rattle #6  
Mine doesn't have a plastic ring either. It does rattle a bit but haven't come up with any way to prevent it so I just live with it.

On another note- how much clearance do you guys have around your impellers? Mine seems to have 3/8"-1/2" gap and I've been thinking about extending the blades to resolve that problem just so i can get a little more throwing distance out of it as I think it should throw further than the 20 or so feet I get out of it now.

/ Buhler snow blower rattle #7  
i have a 50" that I bought new in October 2011 and it dosen't have a plastic ring but I haven't noticed a rattle either. I lube the chute
with 80-90 gear oil so maybe that helps.

As for the impeller clearance 3/8 to 1/2" is about what I have. I thought about extending the impeller blades or maybe lining the inside of the housing with 1/4" HDPE but I haven't got around to it. Actually, if it throws too far the snow will end up in the neighbor's yard and I don't need that grief!